Apparently this game uses AI and not actual real people playing with you online

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Journey
  3. Apparently this game uses AI and not actual real people playing with you online

User Info: Klop_Job

Klop_Job
5 years ago#1
There's speculation going around that thatgamecompany uses AI companions to simulate the experience of playing with someone else and thus ensure a memorable experience for each player.

In other words, you never actually encountered another human player. The game made you think you did, and then presented you with a list of players who simply also happened to be playing their own instances of the game at the same time, if that makes sense.

I simply do not believe it. I saw someone earlier trying to go up this pathway that was out-of bounds and thus kept getting blown back. This pathway was in the furthest corner of one of the large open areas, it's not something an AI would go towards due to its isolation and well-hidden nature. I've played through it three times now and each person has been completely different and it has been very versatile experiencing the game each time with the different types of players. I've had some people avoid exploration, walk away from me completely and just ignore me and i've had others that follow me, interact with me or even lead me.

What are your thoughts on this speculation?

User Info: obliviondoll

obliviondoll
5 years ago#2
If it was AI, then it would be setting a new record for believability.

And I know a couple of people who have managed to meet in-game and confirm one another's presence, so it's proven not to be AI - at least not all the time.
"I want my meals to think for myself"

User Info: FearItSelf23

FearItSelf23
5 years ago#3
Ignore it because it's simply not possible. After playing with only 3 people you would be able to realize that they can't be AI. AI simply can not simulate the actions of what real people would do and how they act in this game. Any AI that could come close is not something this game had the budget for. Now if you were to tell me that the other player is a recording of a real life person I could see where that would be possible in some instances but most likely not since they do tend to react to you.

Got a link to the thread or whatever you saw this on?

User Info: mario_pot

mario_pot
5 years ago#4
i have heard of that before and i'll even be honest sometimes found the ghost in demon souls to be suspect, but i owuldn't believe it for this title because you really build a system of communication between yourself and the other player or a sense of closeness . and also i have never seen a partner behave like an artificial intelligence, they move when i move and stop when i stop . while the characters in journey all look very similar you can definitely see the personal touch of other players in how they navigate. some take the point, others fall back ,others do stay very close. some press the communicate button a ton others only if they see something or want to express something. it's simplicity is what makes it hardest to believe that someone owuld have programmed it ...plus TGC doesn't seem like the dev team to cheat fans in that way.
No man is a failure who is enjoying life.
Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.-Benjamin Franklin

User Info: Giggins

Giggins
5 years ago#5
The behavior is much too complex to be AI.

User Info: Phaild

Phaild
5 years ago#6
This 100% false.

Wanna know why?

Because I actually played it with my friend. Yes, we were constantly communicating through MSN while he showed me secret locations and even a glitched part of the game in the "Water Temple".

How did we make this happen? Well, it took us at least 1-2 hours to actually meet up, so it wasn't easy.
Days left in Service: 0 / That's that
On you feet, come with me. We are soldiers, stand or die

User Info: petthetoast

petthetoast
5 years ago#7

Don't believe this troll guys. I played last night with my friend and we got all the collectables together. It's easy to do, just both start a level at the exact same time and you have a very very good chance of you connecting wtih your friend, worked for us the first try in about 30 seconds, we were on skype at the time. 

User Info: petthetoast

petthetoast
5 years ago#8

Sorry didn't mean to all you a troll, meant whoever put this speculation out is probably one. x3

User Info: FearItSelf23

FearItSelf23
5 years ago#9
mario_pot posted...
i have heard of that before and i'll even be honest sometimes found the ghost in demon souls to be suspect, but i owuldn't believe it for this title because you really build a system of communication between yourself and the other player or a sense of closeness . and also i have never seen a partner behave like an artificial intelligence, they move when i move and stop when i stop . while the characters in journey all look very similar you can definitely see the personal touch of other players in how they navigate. some take the point, others fall back ,others do stay very close. some press the communicate button a ton others only if they see something or want to express something. it's simplicity is what makes it hardest to believe that someone owuld have programmed it ...plus TGC doesn't seem like the dev team to cheat fans in that way.

On the Demon Souls thing I believe you are right on the ghosts. They will appear offline as well iirc. Though on TGC doing such a thing I wouldn't put it past them. Let me explain though first.

If it was AI I personally wouldn't say it's "cheating the fans" TGC seems to be a group that really enjoys experiments and think about how amazing an experiment like this would be. Actual humans feeling emotion and closeness to a computer simulated intelligence without knowing it's computer simulated is simply an awesome experiment. They would be able to conclude that emotional response can be tricked into people by a computer and show just how easily our brains are able to form connections. They would also be able to show how our evolution to survive with emotional connections (love, hate etc.) is more one sided than some realize. It would show just how strong that evolutionary trait in humans has become since our ancestors many many years ago.

Though I don't think it's AI cause on top of the above they would also have shown off a very advanced AI that I have yet to see anywhere game or not.

User Info: Phaild

Phaild
5 years ago#10
On the Demon Souls thing I believe you are right on the ghosts. They will appear offline as well iirc.

No, they don't.
Days left in Service: 0 / That's that
On you feet, come with me. We are soldiers, stand or die
  1. Boards
  2. Journey
  3. Apparently this game uses AI and not actual real people playing with you online

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived