Why is there a merit reward for 20% capture?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  3. Why is there a merit reward for 20% capture?

User Info: SkrallRampager

SkrallRampager
4 years ago#11
Lmao Math.....

User Info: dudeitscool

dudeitscool
4 years ago#12
Hiroshida posted...
Chronux posted...

So a 1% catch would turn to 21%.. you sure that's not the case?

Try 1.2%.

I also thought that mp reduction cost for skills etc would be 25% or 50%, but no, a 45 mp spell will only 41mp to cast. Big whoop.

Yeah that made the angriest. Seeing the big hitters like Astra only reduce MP use by like 6 was a joke. Especially considering the tier and cost of the merit reward. For another 3 you can get Giant Killer which is far better and useful.
Looking at the big picture is easier on the eyes...

User Info: the5element

the5element
4 years ago#13
ya the mp reduction one is only 10%, why even bother....
I'll tell you what i do like: A killer, a dyed-in-the-wool killer, cold-blooded, clean, methodical and thorough - Zorg

User Info: Ultimate_Broly

Ultimate_Broly
4 years ago#14
Its not that TC's math was wrong, I'm pretty sure the guide doesn't even say it's the base %. Even I was mislead until I read it on the forums a few days ago, mind you I didn't have the license yet at the time so I couldn't have tested it on my own.
PSN: LastExile2

User Info: the_requiem

the_requiem
4 years ago#15
Ultimate_Broly posted...
Its not that TC's math was wrong, I'm pretty sure the guide doesn't even say it's the base %. Even I was mislead until I read it on the forums a few days ago, mind you I didn't have the license yet at the time so I couldn't have tested it on my own.

Errmm.. nope, TC's math *was* wrong.

%ge increase in probabilities is never applied the way TC thought it would. If something has a 1% chance to occur then a 20% increase will be 20% of 1% resulting in 1.2% That is the way probabilities and %ge increases work. Guide would need to specifically mention if it increased 1% to 21% because that would be out of ordinary.
[PSN:wreck_em]
Borderlands 2: Maya-10, Zero-50, Axton-25, Sal-50

User Info: Doomerang

Doomerang
4 years ago#16
Yeah that made the angriest. Seeing the big hitters like Astra only reduce MP use by like 6 was a joke. Especially considering the tier and cost of the merit reward. For another 3 you can get Giant Killer which is far better and useful.

It may not seem like much, but that 10 percent adds up over time considerably especially with high-cost spells. I used to have the same opinion as you about what I saw as something insignificant, but that ten percent can be the difference between an extra casting of a spell before running out of mp, or the difference between having extra mp to heal yourself in a dire situation or not.
Kenshin's the Beauty, Kaoru's the Beast? - Mister_Feeny
Would that make Shishioh the candle guy? - Gettles

User Info: Mage_of_Wind

Mage_of_Wind
4 years ago#17
the_requiem posted...
Ultimate_Broly posted...

%ge increase in probabilities is never applied the way TC thought it would. If something has a 1% chance to occur then a 20% increase will be 20% of 1% resulting in 1.2% That is the way probabilities and %ge increases work. Guide would need to specifically mention if it increased 1% to 21% because that would be out of ordinary.

He only thought it was additive instead of multiplicative, so he's not exactly wrong math-wise, he's just wrong mechanic-wise.
This is the scene where you declare your undying hatred for me. -Seifer
If you persist, for great justice, I'll rearrange your face again! -Nisa

User Info: Leanaunfurled

Leanaunfurled
4 years ago#18
Too cool for school. I'm horrible at math and even I know this stuff with percentages.
http://i.imgur.com/LF2O7.gif
http://i.imgur.com/WoISA.gif

User Info: Shiek_2002

Shiek_2002
4 years ago#19
Sweet, I can't wait to turn a 2% chance to a 2.4%! Now all the monsters are mine!
PSN - Homey_Christ

User Info: the_requiem

the_requiem
4 years ago#20
Mage_of_Wind posted...
the_requiem posted...
Ultimate_Broly posted...

He only thought it was additive instead of multiplicative, so he's not exactly wrong math-wise, he's just wrong mechanic-wise.

His math was wrong coz probabilities are never additive, always multiplicative. Probabilities, permutations and combinations all come under math.
[PSN:wreck_em]
Borderlands 2: Maya-10, Zero-50, Axton-25, Sal-50
  1. Boards
  2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  3. Why is there a merit reward for 20% capture?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived