Why world maps deserve their place in RPG.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  3. Why world maps deserve their place in RPG.

User Info: SigmaHaciel

SigmaHaciel
4 years ago#21
FishermanFriend posted...
naaros posted...
I love world maps in JRPGs, but I don't feel like it's required or even count it as a penalty if they don't have one.

One recent example would be Xenoblade - with the way that game is structured and the setting, a world map really wouldn't work all that well imo. So the way they did it - huge areas to explore - with no world map was perfect.

These are my thoughts exactly. It's nice when it's there, but it's not a game changer if it isn't. For example, if this game lacked a world map but had a better combat system I think the game would be a million times better.

DS version says hi.

You know, what this game basically took everything from. Which is why Japan isn't too happy-joyjoy about this game.

User Info: DboyC83

DboyC83
4 years ago#22
I agree, whilst it is not necessary, a well done world map makes the world even more cohesive. But a truly continuous world has to have logical (to some extent) geographical regions that make the world feaseable. I really liked Phantasy Star planetary approach to the world map, where a world could be pretty one dimensional but the system itself is greatly varied.

While mass effect had a world map per planet, on the other hand, it didn't achieve an enhanced level of immersion. Mainly because it was so empty.

There are definitely components to a world map and the right blend of goodies in NNKs makes it a delight to explore (at least once). The side effect is that this fantasy world has a reality of its own.
FACT: this is not an opinion.

User Info: FishermanFriend

FishermanFriend
4 years ago#23
SigmaHaciel posted...
FishermanFriend posted...
naaros posted...
I love world maps in JRPGs, but I don't feel like it's required or even count it as a penalty if they don't have one.

One recent example would be Xenoblade - with the way that game is structured and the setting, a world map really wouldn't work all that well imo. So the way they did it - huge areas to explore - with no world map was perfect.

These are my thoughts exactly. It's nice when it's there, but it's not a game changer if it isn't. For example, if this game lacked a world map but had a better combat system I think the game would be a million times better.

DS version says hi.

You know, what this game basically took everything from. Which is why Japan isn't too happy-joyjoy about this game.

How different is this game from the DS version?

User Info: Leanaunfurled

Leanaunfurled
4 years ago#24
DS version says hi.

I thought it was because they weren't willing to pay twice for a game that was very very similar to one they already bought a year prior.

But hey w/e.
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png

User Info: Foofyhead

Foofyhead
4 years ago#25
I believe it ends after defeating Shadar, for one. Also, it looks like the battles are actually turn-based.

I don't consider the PS3 battles to be turn-based...
Is this...a declaration of independence?

User Info: JuanZolo

JuanZolo
4 years ago#26
DualShooter23 posted...
Very well said.
If the doors of perception were to be cleansed, everything would appear as it truly is-Infinite.

User Info: shadowsfm

shadowsfm
4 years ago#27
Foofyhead posted...
I believe it ends after defeating Shadar, for one. Also, it looks like the battles are actually turn-based.

saying the battles aren't turn based in this game is like saying final fantasy 4 and up aren't turn based

User Info: Thanatos2k

Thanatos2k
4 years ago#28
DS version says hi.

I'd rather get the PS3 version than the DS version.
-Thanatos2k-

User Info: FishermanFriend

FishermanFriend
4 years ago#29
shadowsfm posted...
Foofyhead posted...

saying the battles aren't turn based in this game is like saying final fantasy 4 and up aren't turn based

Is that so? Would you be so kind to explain to the ignorant how this games battle system IS turn based?

User Info: Leanaunfurled

Leanaunfurled
4 years ago#30

That's..a really dumb statement, tbh. V - XIII have nothing in common with NNK in terms of combat. Those are painfully obviously turn-based systems. NNK doesn't have a turn-based system. There's no gauge to fill, there's no waiting, you move where you want, you can jump over attacks when timed correctly, you can defend last minute, cancel mid-attack to do something else, switch out whenever you want, interrupt enemies, etc.

Or are you another person who thinks individual options having a cooldown = turn based?
Not removing this sig until Bravely Default:Flying Fairy is localized.
http://i.imgur.com/atFfl36.png
  1. Boards
  2. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  3. Why world maps deserve their place in RPG.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived