When to work on familiars?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Sorontar

Sorontar
11 months ago#1
So... I just got the boat. I'm pretty much stuck ATM only using the original Mite because of the gear available and his evolution. I have a lot of supposedly decent fighters but their defense is so bad they die in 2-3 hits while doing the same or even less damage than the mite.

When is a good spot to really begin investing in more long-term solutions? And when is this feasible? Right now anything but the mite is suicide.

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
11 months ago#2
Immediately.

As soon as you gain access to the Sea Cow you gain access to a huge amount of gear and familiars. Through farming, hidden item discovery, harvesting, and Alchemy, you can acquire the best gear available until endgame. You also gain access to almost all the possible base form familiars, and in turn, almost all possible familiars, as well as a fantastic experience grinding opportunity, so you can develop your team.
The meaning of life is to suffer and be miserable.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

Sorontar
11 months ago#3
Where is the best initial grind spot? I just cleared the fairy island. Also my Danglerfish is like 1000 exp from capping level so he's gonna be beefy soon.

Right now, most of the enemies off the beaten path are just too strong. Like hitting for 25-30 a pop vs. almost 100 defense.

Alltra
11 months ago#4
Tokos on Ugly Duckling Island. It's part of an island chain directly north of the Summerland Continent. (The continent Ding Dong Dell is on) They're worth 2000 exp each, but they run away, so you have to surprise them and defeat them quickly.

Aside from that, there's a progression of difficulty to the regions of the sea and the surrounding islands. Start around Castaway Cove and Teheeti for the weakest enemies. The strongest are located in the far Southwest region of the seas located just to the west of the southwestern most island, known as Hermit's Cove.

Sorontar
11 months ago#5
Did L5 forget this wasn't actually a Dragon Quest game? :P

(NNK is actually a lot more gorgeous)

Alltra
11 months ago#6
Considering how many familiars there are, I personally think this is an effective way to experiment with various setups. It allows you to develop many familiars till you find the setup you like.

The only bad thing really is that your actual characters get over leveled in that process.

Sorontar
11 months ago#7
Is it better to pump a Familiar's best stat through treats or to balance out a weakness? Would I want my attacker's to eventually have +50 attack?

Alltra
11 months ago#8
In my opinion, it's best to spread the stats out. The problem with treats is that it's based on a hidden experience table. Each treat gives an amount of Exp toward a stat increase. With each new increase, the amount of exp needed to raise the stat increases. In effect, it makes trying to max out a stat wasteful and very time consuming.

So, depending on the familiar and what you're using attack wise, it might be good to spread it out among the 3-4 most relevant stats.

Sorontar
11 months ago#9
What's a good physical attacker stand-in for Bone Baron while he's useless? Should I give him Dinoceros (or find another...)?

Ideally a strong familiar actually affiliated with him.

Alltra
11 months ago#10
Dino is frankly the most OP familiar in the game. If you use it, you'd have no need for a Bone Baron.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived