2nd play thru

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: lazybum

lazybum
8 months ago#1
was bored and went looking thru closet for game to play and found this one again. Been awhile since i played it so i popped it in.

Just got flying dragon, my people are about lvl 50 all with their own Destroceros, remember how OP they were from previous play thru. way over lvled? perhaps using broken familiars? perhaps but having fun on another play thru.

waiting for the 2nd game to come out as well.
PSN: Mr_lazy_bum
feel free to add me

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
8 months ago#2
Actually, Dinoceros on anyone but Oliver stops being OP (though it's still a tanky beast)... Without the type affinity bonus, it's just not up to the full potential. There are much better familiars for the other characters. And even as tough as the Dinoceros is, there are plenty of other good familiars even for Oliver... The line of Toko/ Tokotoko/ [Tokotocold\Docotoko] are all good Familiars; the move 'Parp' on the final form gives good AoE damage, and they are super fast in combat, for example; while Swayne makes excellent use of the Monolith/ Megalith / [Neolith\Paleolith] via their high defense with buffs for type favoritism. These are just a couple examples, though. There are plenty more...

And, that being said, there are no real needs for you to use type-favorites. You can go outside type favorites and still plow through the game- which is just fine, because the story is as good as one can expect from Studio Ghibli (meaning freakin' awesome) and the gameplay can take second place to the awesomeness that is the story on a first (or old-school-returning-with-a-blurry-memory) playthrough.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

User Info: NeoHawk9

NeoHawk9
8 months ago#3
I am also on a 2nd playthrough after +3 years since the first. I set some restrictions to make the run more fun such as: no dinos, no toko grinding,choose familiar final forms that are not found in explorable areas, only evolve them as they reach max level, etc.

User Info: AvidgamerMiko

AvidgamerMiko
8 months ago#4
I just finished my 100% completion a little while ago so my next play-through won't be too soon. When I do, I think I'll play with some of the more fun or cool looking familiars. Unfortunately one of my favorite looking familiars is the Auroralynx line which is pretty far into the game. The Fightingale for Esther is another really neat one but is also found way later. It's too bad you can't do a kind of newgame+ where you can keep a handful of level 1 first form familiars.

User Info: Alltra

Alltra
8 months ago#5
c_s_tadsen posted...
Actually, Dinoceros on anyone but Oliver stops being OP...

I don't know if I agree with that. The extra bonus from the Genus Favorites is significant, but even without it his stats are insane. Furthermore, a lot of his utility comes from the available moves it learns or can be taught. The only real downside is his movement speed, but that's hardly an issue because you're not really kiting or melee fighting with him. His best usage is as a Trick spammer, and his defense makes him damn near unkillable, assuming anything can stay alive long enough to hit him.
The meaning of life is to suffer and be miserable.
Online is the worst thing to happen to gaming.

User Info: c_s_tadsen

c_s_tadsen
8 months ago#6
Alltra posted...
c_s_tadsen posted...
Actually, Dinoceros on anyone but Oliver stops being OP...

I don't know if I agree with that. The extra bonus from the Genus Favorites is significant, but even without it his stats are insane. Furthermore, a lot of his utility comes from the available moves it learns or can be taught. The only real downside is his movement speed, but that's hardly an issue because you're not really kiting or melee fighting with him. His best usage is as a Trick spammer, and his defense makes him damn near unkillable, assuming anything can stay alive long enough to hit him.

IMO his movement speed drops him from 'OP' to just 'really good' on anyone else; his timer just doesn't last long enough for screwing around, so if you can't take the field by the second attack you're probably done with him for the fight. Of course, you could invest the ridiculous amount of time and work to have two or three of them on each character... But that's a pretty wasteful use of your real-world time, IMO, considering how hard it can be to catch just one.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived