Review by Parks

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 07/01/02

Capcom's first good 3D fighter...

Powerstone was the second game that I got for my Sega Dreamcast. I had playedit on the demo CD included with the Dreamcast itself and I found it to be a very good game. And, since no rental places around here have Dreamcast games,I went out and bought the game... probably not a smart idea, but I have noregrets at all, trust me.

GAMEPLAY: 10/10
This game is so freakin' innovative that I was amazed and overjoyed when I first got the chance to play it. Like the back of the CD jewel case says, thisis the first fighting game ever where you can go anywhere in a stage, grabanything, and use everyday objects like chairs and tables as weapons. Somebeginners may find the game hard due to the fact that once one person getsthree jewels, it's hard to avoid major damage, but eventually you get used toit and this minute detail is not even a factor anymore.

MUSIC: 7/10
The music in this game isn't very good in my opinion... at least, certainlynot up to the usual high standard of Capcom music. But still, it serves itspurpose well enough to give this department a relatively high score.

CONTROLS: 9/10
The controls of this game are very good, but I have one major gripe - thereare only four real attacks: punch, kick, throw, and super-move when you arein "Dream Mode". This severely limits any actual fighting strategy, leavingmost battles as a desperate rush for jewels so that you can unleash an un-Godly amount of damage using a super-move.

REPLAY FACTOR: 5/10
This game will be quite hard for beginners to complete, so even with 15 individual secrets to unlock, most beginners will have already quit afterbeating the game once or twice. And even expert players will eventually tireof playing the Arcade Mode over and over again.

OVERALL: 8/10
This is a great introductory game from Capcom for the Dreamcast. But unlessyou really like playing a game over and over to beat it, I'd wait until a store has it to rent before you go out and spend $49.99 on it.

Rating:   4.0 - Great

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.