Review by the ultimate68

Reviewed: 03/09/03 | Updated: 03/09/03

Hudson strikes gold with this Bomberman!

Bomberman Online for the Sega Dreamcast, produced by Hudson ups every previous bomberman game to date. Online capabilities, plus the 3D characters make this installment of the series, the best.

With this title, the gameplay needs to be superb in order to be any good. With loads of different options, it’s just that: superb. You can take on the role in single player, navigating the bomberman world, or you can go online, challenging other bomberman players from all over the world. But perhaps the real fun is at home with you. Since the Dreamcast allows you to hook up four controllers, a game with three of your buddies is made simple. This my friends, is where the real fun is at.

How fun is this game? In my opinion, it’s the best bomberman game out. Now, if you’re never played a bomberman game before, then this means nothing to you. I’ll need to go into more detail for you. This game has kept me and my friends busy for a long time, and yet we still play it. When we all go over to a friend’s house, we play bomberman: multiplayer! You probably don’t know how fun it is to blow up your friends, and now it’s legal!

If it weren’t for the Dreamcast controller, the controls would be flawless. However, since it is stuck on this system it needs to be noted that the D-pad is small, and is easy to go in a direction you didn’t mean to go. Really, after you’re used to playing with the controller, it’s no problem. Other than the controller problem, the controls are perfect. Everything reacts when you press the button, and there are no glitches causing you to die when you weren’t supposed to. There are a lot of buttons on the Dreamcast controller, and they’re used very wonderfully.

How’s the difficulty of this game? That’s one of the nice things about this title. You can set the computer on easy, which they really are: very easy. This is nice for beginners because it won’t get them discouraged quite as easily. Then there’s also the hard difficulty, which can be a real challenge. When the computer is set on this level, they’re not something that you can master so easily, yet they’re not impossible to beat either. It’s the perfect difficulty level for a hint of frustration, but loads of fun.

The story in bomberman is practically non-existent. In fact, the only story in it is in single-player mode. Really, that mode is just to unlock a few extra options, and doesn’t take too long to finish. However, there is a story, so I figured I would give it a grade, however low it may be.

Graphics/Sound: 9/10
The graphics have taken a turn for the better with the new cel-shaded 3D characters. There are no graphical glitches, and everything runs very smoothly. When you play on a HDTV, you can really tell the difference, and it looks awesome! There’s really no problem in this department, because I have nothing but good to say about it.

The sound I can rate two different ways. One being the quality of the sound. I must say, that the sound was clear, and crisp. The second way to review the sound is by the musical selection. This half of the sound department was weak, with tunes that weren’t catchy or that fun to listen to. It's not that they were bad songs, they just aren't something special to talk about. Overall, I like more than I dislike the songs.

Replayability: 7/10
The only part of the game you could actually replay is the single-player mode which isn’t very much fun. With the multiplayer battles, and online capabilities, you’re always playing new games, and the fun never ceases. The play time is unlimited; if you like the game, you could be spending hours upon hours playing it. This isn’t like an RPG where you beat it, and you choose whether or not to play it again. It works much differently.

Conclusion:
Buy this game! It’s well worth it with all the different options, and capabilities. It’ll possibly keep you and your friends occupied for ages. Plus it’ll most likely be very cheap, so you won’t feel any loss in money! Pick it up today!

Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.