Review by Hippo_Is_Teh_67

Reviewed: 01/31/07

Have you checked in yet?

I was impressed by this game. For a company like Cing (who's only released 2 or 3 games), to make something revolutionary that people will remember for quite some time is a huge accomplishment. I was one of the lucky ones to get my hands on a pre-order.

This is really the first game of it's kind. Remember those modern Noir movies that were in style during the 70's and 80's? This is loosely based around that theme. It's designed to play like a book, so it's not the kind of game for someone that flies through text. That said, it's extremely well done. A few tings could have been better, but that's why it's not a 10.

So anyway, here goes the review.

Story:
You start off as Kyle Hyde. An ex-cop who's hit rock bottom. He's currently searching for his partner, a guy by the name of Bradley. He winds up at a dive called Hotel Dusk while on assignment from his current employer, Red Crown. Sounds simple enough, right? You'd think so, wouldn't you. The main reason this game gets such a high score is because of the constant twists and turns of the storyline. It takes a while for it to go anywhere though. The game feels like a chore until about Chapter 6 or 7. But it's worth it, I promise. Everything in the story ends up fitting together really nicely, but I won't give away any details.
8/10

Characters:
The best part of this game. Or rather, the dialogue is. When you talk to the lost souls temporarily residing at Hotel Dusk, you feel like you're talking to real people. In most games, you feel like you're talking to a computer generated robot, you know? In this game, you can imagine the voices so easily, and there's such an established personality. I can't really elaborate, but you'll know once you've played it.
10/10

Music:
For the most part, it sounds like bland elevator music. But I will tell you, at the start and at the end of this game, there's some absolutely beautiful scores. I'd say they could even rival Nobuo in some instances. However, for the most part, the music just gets on your nerves.
7/10

Gameplay:
This isn't exactly a fair catagory, because gameplay isn't really what this game's about. It's more exploration and fact-finding. Anyhow, it comes down to this. You hoof around from one part of the hotel to another gathering items or talking to people. It itself, that's pretty boring. However, there's some really ingenious puzzles in this game, and if you can figure all of them out without a walkthrough, you deserve a smart-guy medal. There's also "boss" stages where you interogate people while gathering questions and information. At times, this is harder than it has to be, but it's not all that difficult to figure out. And finally, at the end of each chapter (much like Cing's other notable game, Trace Memory) there's a little "test" to see if you were paying attention.
7/10

Good luck.

Rating:   4.0 - Great

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.