Can't take the shotgun?

1. In the room where the ceiling slowing lowers after you get the shotgun, why is it that on some occasions I can't leave with the shotgun? I know that when the ceiling lowers, I'm supposed to check both doors and then I'll get a cutscene where Barry saves Jill; however, there are times when the door to the hallway is locked but I can still go back into the room where I got the shotgun. In other words, I can't leave without putting the shotgun back.
    Oh, and yes, I'm aware of the broken shotgun, but I've always done this without it.

Can someone tell me what's going on?

User Info: ZebuFrenzy

ZebuFrenzy - 5 years ago

1. If you're playing as Chris then you need a Broken Shotgun to substitute for the shotgun hanging in the hooks in that room. If you put the Broken Shotgun in it's place then the hooks will be still be set in the off position when you leave the room which means you won't trigger the ceiling trap. As the previous person who tried to answer this for you mentioned, I do believe that Jill gets it for nothing if you do it at the right time. Not 100% sure when the right time is but I know that when it happens, Barry comes to Jill's rescue and I think gets the door open for her but the only bad thing is that you will never be able to return to the room to get the other items that were in there if you forgot to grab them when you were in there before you took the shotgun off the hooks. I know its been awhile and you've probably figured it out by now but I figured I might as well give it a go. I always wanted to answer a question for an old game before on Yahoo! Questions or here at GameFAQs but never had the opportunity before since by the time I'd find the question it would usually have been already answered.

User Info: KimCheeWarriorX

KimCheeWarriorX - 2 years ago 1 0

Answers

1. After you get the Sword key you should immediately head for the shotgun room to get the cut scene with Barry. If you leave it too long (I believe after getting the Armor key from the Cerberus' collar) the cut scene wont trigger. By that time you should be close to getting the broken shotgun anyway, so it's not like you have to wait long if you miss the opportunity to get it for free.

User Info: NeonFXx

NeonFXx - 5 years ago 1 0