Review by raven14

Reviewed: 06/12/03 | Updated: 06/12/03

Poor play control and level design make this game more trouble than it's worth..

X2 Wolverine's Revenge. I've been trying to get this at Blockbuster for a long time and I finally did. Boy, I'm glad I'm just renting it, because this game is incredibly frustrating, and a bit of a disappointment.

This is probably the best part of the game. The characters look quite nice and the environments look good enough. The cutscenes look nice too, considering that those graphics are no different than the in-game graphics. The enemies aren't as detailed as Wolvie, but they still look okay.

Story:8/10
Basically, the story begins in 1968, when Wolverine was being tested on at the Weapons X Facility. He goes insane on the soldiers there and finally manages to escape, but not before finding out that his body, and all the other bodies of Weapons X creations, is infected with a virus that will kill them in a year. His healing factor is able to fight against it thoug. Many, many years later, he finds out that this virus will kill him in 48 hours.
Uh-huh. That's the story. Wolverine trying to find the cure for this virus. I've seen better, but it's not too bad.

Gameplay/Controls: 4/10
This is where the game suffers the most. We'll talk about the controls first. The one thing that I thought most odd is that Y is jump. Since when have any of us played a game where Y is jump?! You get used to it after a while, but it's gonna be hard for me to adjust back to games where A is jump. Fighting controls are good though. A is punch/slash, depending on whether your claws are extended or retracted, and B is kick. X is used to execute cool-looking Strike Moves, which can be added on to as you get better at using them. I should also talk about the camera right now. It sucks. It is moveable, but the moving of it is a bit weird and if you don't move it, you'll find it very difficult to move through the game.
About the fights, once you hit an enemy or vice versa, you get in a position where you circle your enemy and attack and try your best to avoid your enemie's attacks. This system is good, but I found it frustrating that you can't just press a button to get out of it(you can't run in this mode, which makes it much more difficult to beat bosses . . . more on that later). I ended up holding R and pressing A and B at the same time to get out of it, but the process of figuring it out was long and annoying and it's really too much trouble.
Bosses. There's one at the end of every act. They're very creative, in the fact that you can't win just by beating him up. You've somehow got to use the environment. This is really nice, but they are too difficult, partly because of the annoying ''can't get out of the fighting mode'' issue. Also, they are just too difficult. The second boss (Wendigo) took me about thirty tries to defeat. I mean, he's only the second boss!!!! And even for the last boss of most games, the only time it takes me thirty tries to beat a boss, it's usually because the fighting system is flawed somehow.

Level Design: 3/10
I just had to include this category because the levels are so bad. Some are nearly impossible to figure out how to beat it. And if you die, you have to start back at the beginning. There's no pints where you restart if you die. Also, you can't skip the cutscenes in the level. Chances are, once you finally beat the level, you'll have seen the same cutscenes at least ten times, and that gets really annoying.

Music/Sound: 9/10
The music is nothing memorable, but it works. Can't say much of anything else.
I really like the sound effects, though. Wolverine's extending and retracting claws sound exactly like they did in X2. Hitting enemies also produces a satisfying sound.
Now, the voice acting. I have to give them a lot of credit on this. The got Patrick Stewart to do the voice of Professor X and Mark Hamil to do the voice of Wolverine (why they couldn't get Hugh Jackman to do it, I don't know) and they both do a fine job. Most of the other characters aren't as good, though.

Replayability:7/10
There are lots of extras, such as extra costumes, artwork, and ''Cerebro Files'', where you can learn a little bit about some of the characters in this game. However, this game is overall such a grueling experience that I don't think I want to go through it again to find everything.

Man, I'm glad I got that off my chest. Too bad this game was such a disappointment. I guess my expectations were just too high. If you want my opinion about buying or renting, I say rent it only if you're a big X-men fan.

Rating:   2.5 - Playable

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.