Review by Odekerk

Reviewed: 12/14/05 | Updated: 05/17/06

Improved in pretty much every aspect from the original.

This is the second installment of the Burnout series, and sadly, the last on the GCN. I gave the first one an 8/10, but this one got a 10/10, let us find out why...

The only thing not improved from the first, but it didn't decrease. Once again, the graphics get a nine out of ten. I'm not a big graphic person, but I can appreciate great graphics, and these visuals are just as impressive as the first. They did a great job on the courses again, and the scenery is wonderful.

This is improved from the first one. Very responsive controls, with (once again) cars that accelerate very fast and have excellent breaking effects, and drifting is just as awesome as ever. The AI of the cars was made better. I don't get as mad at them as I did in the first. It also has about the same amount of traffic as the first.

Just as the first, Burnout 2 emphasizes driving dangerously, and there is a completely new way you can achieve that goal. That new way is gaining air time, which is achieved by flying over bumps, and staying airborne. There is a tutorial in this game that will help you master near misses, oncoming lane driving, gaining air time, and (my favorite) drifting.

Again the races have checkpoints, which seem to be easier to get to this time around. They use the same formula of filling the boost meter to go faster. There can be only 4 people in each race, you and 3 AI. The enemy racers are intelligent, and don't crash too much.

The gameplay modes are about the same this time around, with the added Pursuit mode (you're a cop and you try to crash the car you're after), Offensive Driving 101(tutorials), and of course Crash mode (which I will further explain later in this review). Just as the first, this is not a free-roaming racer. The same green arrows prevent you from missing your turn, not allowing you to deviate from the course.

Improved from the first, but the music still isn't great either (to me, it sounds like techno with a guitar in the background). I have to say the music is adrenaline pumping though. Car, crash, and traffic sounds are done very well. Just pop in your favorite CD, turn the SFX volume up, and mute the game music.

Crashes(special section): 10/10
Much improved from the first game. When you hit a car head on at 120 mph you don't go to a dead halt, you actually move the other car back a bit this time around. Crashes don't seem to be as repetitive in this game, but the cost of the crash doesn't come up during races (which will not bother you unless you played the first one, but it will go away from your memory), this is saved for the crash mode. This is the best new addition to the game. It allows you to make huge multi-million dollar crashes from planned out scenarios. For example, creating a big pile up at an intersection, or trying to spread the crash into two lanes.

Replayability: 10/10
Another thing improved from the first one. With the new added modes, and the much expanded championship series, this has excellent replay value, especially for a racer. There are many more cars than there were in the first one, and more courses too, if I'm not mistaken. Like its predecessor, it does not have parts and attachments that you can to add to your car. You can just change the color on some cars and choose your transmission The multiplayer in this game is pretty fun. So you and a buddy can race to your heart's content.

Pros/Cons: For a quick summary.

+ Graphics
+ New and improved gameplay modes
+ Many cars to unlock
+ Driving dangerously, again
+ The excellent crashes
- Music, which isn't as bad as the first one, but still not good
- It ends?

For my final recommendation, I'd say buy it. It seems to be hard to find now, but it's worth it, and this is the last Burnout game for the Gamecube, and it went out in a really good way.

Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.