Review by mp55404

Reviewed: 01/20/04

A great game at a great price

Beyond Good and Evil got onto my radar in an interesting way. For some reason, the game's price dropped to an official $20. This led me to look into the reviews for it. Some of the phrases that came up were, ''it is just like Zelda'', and ''it is what Tomb Raider should have been''. These quotes, along with some great numbers, intrigued me enough to purchase this game.

In terms of Genre, it is basically an adventure game. There are many sections that have action, including some really cool boss fights, but just like Zelda, it is more puzzle oriented than action oriented. In terms of the puzzles, they are strictly to move the story. In fact, the story is so deep, that it can almost be considered as an RPG. Don't expect puzzles like looking for three keys, or three cogs, or 8 triforce pieces. You will be collecting stuff that you need. This is definitely not a collectathon by any stretch of the imagination.

Gameplay - Well, it does play like Zelda. You do have auto jumping, but unlike Zelda, you can only jump if you can make it. No jumping to your death by mistake. The camera also does a very good job at locking onto the boss during boss fights. Other times, it seems to move to a Resident Evil feel with the camera located in a good location in the room. And since you can't accidentally jump to your death, no need to worry about falling off in one of the boss fights -- especially when the camera pans up to the boss.

There are a ton of stealth levels. Almost too many. The good thing though is that they are all eventually satisfying, even though I got really frustrated at times. You character does a great job at hiding, peeking around corners, etc.

There are some racing levels that are actually surprisingly well done. They can almost be built upon as a separate game.

There are also some really cool vehicle battles, including a space battle that I wished lasted longer. There are times that I felt like I was playing starfox 64.

I would give gameplay a 10 out of 10.

Graphics - This is actually the graphics that I expected from Zelda, if Zelda didn't go cel shaded. It is very good. What I liked most about it is that it is well integrated with cut scenes, both large, and mini ones, that drive the story and the feel of the game. For a game like this, the graphics are more than sufficient.

I would give the graphics a 9 out of 10.

Sound - The general sound is so-so. But only because the voice acting is fantastic. You actually feel like you are in contact with your support team and the governor. The music is also fantastic, integrated very well to drive emotion throughout the game.

I would give the sound a 9 out of 10.

Play Time/Replayability - Unfortunately, playtime is short. I was able to finish the game in about 13 hours according to the game's clock. This means I probably put about 15 to 20 hours into the game. And a hardcore gamer, could probably finish the game in about 10 hours.

Unfortunately, there is no multiplayer mode. But this is definitely the type of game that you can play again and again, just to enjoy the story. And even though it is not a collectathon, there are many things to collect such as pearls and animal pictures for those who enjoy such tasks.

I would give replayability a 8 out of 10.

Final Recommendation - I bought this game for $20, which is the official retail price everywhere currently. At that price, you can't go wrong. In fact, the story is so deep, I would almost pay $20 just to have a movie based on the story.

Total - 9 out of 10

Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.