Review by LogGamer

Reviewed: 01/25/04

This is the most satisfying game I have ever played!

Introduction:

This, in short, is what every action/adventure game tries to be. Probably based off of the Legend of Zelda game engine, UbiSoft has done a wonderful job with this one.

These are some of the best graphics I have seen in a game. The smoothness that the characters have is superb, and the environment is one of the most beautiful you will ever see in this round of video game systems, guaranteed!

Count the number of games you have that are almost only voice acting. Having problems? Most games rely simply on written messages, even in cut scenes! While this game does have some written, most conversations (All in cinematic scenes) have wonderful voice-overs. As for the music, I personally will be writing very mean letters to UbiSoft if a soundtrack is not released. There is no comparison except for the Legend of Zelda series, and that is still in second place.

Story Line: 8/10

A clichéd story about saving the world, yet this game manages to pull it off wonderfully. The game is short, but the story entrances you so much that it seems longer and more perfect. If you are a fan of the ''Fighting bag guys to save the world'' series, then you will want this game.

Controls: 9/10

Slightly choppy at times, and the hovercraft is a hassle in small areas, but otherwise the controls are wonderful! I have not experienced all of the vehicles yet ;), but I think that it will run perfectly. It takes a while to get used to the menus; you have to hold the control stick in the direction, no simple scrolling.

Do you like action, adventure, RPGs, stealth, racers, puzzle, or any other type of game? You will love Beyond Good and Evil. This has every type of gameplay imaginable, all somehow blended together so you never are confused about what to do.

Replay Value: 7/10

There is a very small chance that you will get a 100% the first time through this game, so replaying it to get everything is fun. Other than that, the two games at the Akuda Bar are the only fun replay items.

To Buy, or to Rent

As with all games, I would say rent first. This is a short game, so you might even be able to beat it! I can guarantee you though; you will race right back to the store and through money at them to let you keep it.

Game Style

Adventure: Yes
Arcade: One short mini-game, so not really
Fighting: You fight, but not Mortal Combat style. No.
Platform: Not in the traditional sense (Mario), more like Zelda
Puzzle: There are puzzles, not a major part, but yes.
RPG: Yes
Racing: Yes
Shooter: There is a power-up that gives you minor shooting capabilities.
Sports: No
Strategy: You need to be strategic, but not like chess.
Sub-Category: Stealth: Very important part. Yes!

Conclusion:

This game is a great choice for any gamer or gaming style. I myself am not that good at most games, but I am at this one. This game does give a challenge to experienced gamers though. Final words: Get this game now!

Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.