Review by Trident Mustafa

Reviewed: 01/26/04

Okay, ramblers, let's get rambling...

This is review #4 for me here at GameFAQs, and it’s a goodie. There are often things that keep me from giving perfect scores, so this is a very special time. Let’s get down to brass tacks here…

The story involves a girl named Jade and her Uncle Pey’j trying to defeat the Dom’z network, who are kidnapping people and sapping them of their life juices. But Jade starts out just taking a job snapping pictures. Not a story that’s beaten to death like a lot of the Zelda games. You find yourself really caring for the characters, and not just playing because of cool puzzles.

This game immerses you. The graphics are colorful, but dark and gloomy. The lighting is, in a word, AMAZING. Graphics are not usually high on my list of importance, and if a game’s graphics are good enough that I can tell what’s going on, I won’t complain. But these graphics are so pretty I actually noticed. Jade is nice eye candy, as well. Even Pey’j, a half-human half-pig, looks artistic. There isn’t anything graphic-related I could even begin to complain about.

Control: 10/10
The control took a few minutes to get used to, but they are not hard to learn, and are intuitive and responsive. There is no time where something happens that you didn’t press the button for. This game is extremely easy to pick up and look like a master playing. Picture snapping and fighting were easy things to do. Considering these things make up the majority of the game (and that, by the way, is not a complaint!), the control is something I, again, cannot find anything to complain about.

Sound/Music: 10/10
I don’t feel comfortable giving sound or music anything less than a 10. The voices were done excellently, and the music often gives a haunting effect that helps create the atmosphere. The different cultural influences only help the game have a feel of its own. The Jamaican music at Mammago and the Spanish music at the races are very well done.

See how I had to make the 10 bold here? That means that if I could give it higher than 10, I would. The gameplay here is not overly simplistic or complex, and is truly where this game outshines even the mighty Wind Waker. One thing that bothered me about Wind Waker was the overabundance of scavenger hunting and lack of fighting (and simplistic fighting). Beyond Good & Evil requires you to find and pick up items (pearls), but more often than not, you have to fight for them. You have to defeat monsters or sneak into a place to attain them. And since fighting is such a joyous experience, you’ll look forward to it.

Puzzles are not obscure or overly simplistic. A lot of the puzzles come down to being able to sneak around well. Stealth is a big part of a lot of the dungeons in the game, but if you are patient, you feel so accomplished after passing a particularly difficult dungeon.

At first, before playing this game, I thought I would hate taking photos. I never once even gave Pokemon Snap a try. But I found myself taking photos of random things, just because I loved the way things looked. You are rewarded for taking photos, and it’s all-around very fun.

Replay Value: 9.5/10
Once you’ve played through the game once, you can go back and try to get all 88 pearls, because not all of them are required to beat the game. This game is worth going through multiple times. You’ll only enjoy it more the second or third time.

Difficulty: 10/10
Amount of skill needed to beat the game minus the amount of cheapness is how I calculate this. It takes a LOT of skill to beat Beyond Good & Evil, but there are no cheap enemies. If you get hit, it’s nobody’s fault but your own. You will probably die a lot, but when you do, you’ll say to yourself “Okay, THIS is what I have to do to not die this time.”

Fun Factor: 10/10
This game is incredibly fun. I had more fun with this game than I did with Zelda:Wind Waker, but not as much as I did with the almighty Ocarina of Time. Simple as that.

Averaging the scores above, it comes out to a 9.94, which is as close to perfect as I’ve ever gotten. This game deserves a 10. It deserves 100.

Buy/Rent?
Do I even need to explain here? BUY THIS GAME! You can get this game for a measly $20. $20 for a game that blows Wind Waker out of the water. Don’t bother renting, because you’ll wish you bought. Buy and hang onto this game, because you WILL come back to it.

Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.