Review by Mech Master

Reviewed: 02/23/04

Ranks Among the Best Adventure Games Ever!

This game is definitely one of the best out on the market right now. It hasn't been selling that great though. That just means you can get it cheap which is good if you don't already have the game. It is really a shame that the game isn't selling because the game is one of the best games of 2003. It has one of the best stories that have been in a video game. Aside from gameplay, the one other thing that mezmerized me was the sound. This game, hands down, has better sound than any other game I have played in the past year.

STORY:10
I love the story of this game. I love all of the characters. I love everything about the story. The game puts you in the shoes of the young female protagonist of the game, Jade. Jade and her sidekicks that tag along with her are out to prove a conspiracy that the government is covering up. I really don't want to spoil anything else about the story except that the ending leaves plenty of room for a sequel. Play the game. It will hook you for sure.

GRAPHICS:9
The graphics are done great. In all of Michelle Encel's games, who is the creator of Rayman, there is always the great style that sets it apart from other games. This game has that same style. Only now, the game looks a lot better than the last Rayman game and the game is a lot darker. But like I said, the game looks fantastic. All of the effects are very well done. The water looks great. I don't know why, but even though the water doesn't look as good as say Splashdown, it looks more realistic. I guess it is because of the great lighting in the game.

SOUND:10
This category should get a ten and nothing less. Trying to play this game without sound completely ruins the game. The audio makes the game much more enjoyable. Even if the audio was only an 8/10 the overall score would still be a 10. I am just saying that the sound makes the game that much more enjoyable. All of the sound effects, voices, and music are on par with a holywood blockbuster title. This game has revolutionary audio and should be looked at as a perfect example of great sound design.

GAMEPLAY:10
This game has it all. It has tons of different gameplay elements within it. It has fighting, photography, puzzle solving, stealth, and flight combat. The best part is that each different element is done perfectly. The fighting is similar to Zelda's only you are using a staff and not a sword. You can also do a charge attack which is again is in Zelda. The photography is very interesting. It reminds me a lot of Pokemon Snap in the sense that there are lots of different creatures to photograph. You also get paid for these pictures which is basically the main way you get money. The puzzles are also similar to Zelda's. The stealth I thought was done excellent. It has that OH ****! factor to it. The OH ****! factor is when an enemy finally sees you and you go ''OH ****!''. And the flight combat is done well, although it can't compete with Star Fox 64's.

CONTROL:8
This is probably the weakest of all scores. The reason is that the inventory was very disorganized and I had trouble finding items that I needed to refer back to. Other than that the controls really don't have that much room for improvement. Moving around is very simple. The button layout is very good. I guess that's it for the controls. There aren't too many other good things to say. Well, at least there aren't any bad things.

OVERALL:10
This is one of the best games that I have played in a long time. It has everything that makes a video game great. It has revolutionary sound, very stylized graphics, top-notch gameplay, and a very good story. Since this game is being put into bargain bins go get it. Trust me. You won't regret it. There is tons of replay value as well. So the game won't get old that quick even though it is short.

Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.