Review by SPGLink

Reviewed: 06/19/03 | Updated: 06/19/03

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's FUN!

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut is a remake of the hit Dream Cast hit, Sonic Adventure. It's more than a remake, though. It's more of a super remake. Not only does SADX have upgraded graphics, it also has a brand new mission mode, where you can unlock and fulfill neato missions, and there are also a large number of classic Game Gear games for you to unlock. That large number of course being twelve. That's right, all twelve Game Gear Sonic games are there for you to unlock and play on the big screen of your television. There are six characters for you to play as, Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles ''Tails'' Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose, Big the Cat, and E102 Gamma, each with their own style of gameplay.

The story in this game is really good, and it uncovers as you play the game with each of the six characters. Pretty unique.

Each of the six characters get their own style of playing in their quests. Sonic the Hedgehog's levels are running through a pretty much straight forward level collecting rings and jumping on enemies to reach the end of the level. Tails' levels are pretty much the same as Sonic's except you have to race and beat him to the goal. In Knuckles' levels you have to search the stage to find three pieces of the Master Emerald. In Amy's stages you have to find your balloon while evading ZERO, the incredibly stupid robot that never seizes to come at you. In Big's levels you have to fish for Froggy, Big's best friend. Big's levels are horridly boring. Finally, E102 Gamma's stages are a run through of a linear path while shooting at random things within a time limit. All the characters have their specific mode of playing, and although it's pretty cool, it can get repetitive at times. Especially Big, jeez.

The graphics are somewhat better than the Dream Cast version. The characters are shinier, and the transparent water effects are really cool. Although, some of the other graphics, like lighting or wall textures are great, but not awesome.

Music: 9/10

I loved the music in this game. A lot of it is really snappy, and it'll stick in your mind for a while. Although, the music in the Mystic Ruins (A place where you'll spend most of your time) got on my nerves quickly, and I was ready to lash out on the nearest thing next to me if I couldn't get to another area quickly.

Difficulty: 6/10

Meh. That's all I really gotta say. Not too hard, not too easy. There weren't really any parts in the game that actually challenged me, except E102 Gamma's last boss fight and Sonic's Sky Deck stage.

Replay Value: 9/10

With 130 Emblems to gather, 12 classic Game Gear games to collect, and 60 Missions to complete, you'll be playing this game for a long time to come. But, it would've been a lot better if this game had a Two Player game.

This game is really fun. You should get it. Now.

Buy or Rent?

Buy it! There's not enough time if you rent it! Go! Now!

Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.