Review by Gohan 64

Reviewed: 08/19/03

Not a bad game on it's own, but a mediocre port at best.

Not long after the successful port of Sonic Adventure 2:Battle, Sega released it’s second Sonic Gamecube Port, Sonic Adventure DX. I soon bought the game, being the Sonic fan that I am, and was disappointed with this port.

I’ll admit, this game’s graphics do look nice. Sonic’s head seems a little too shiny, but other that and other very minor details, this game looks very nice visually. Almost every character has had some sort of improvement to them, and the levels look great. Even the overworld looks pretty good, though some textures could use some work. Overall, Sega did a great job at enhancing the graphics to make this a game that looks like it could’ve been first released on the Gamecube.

Storyline: 7/10

The story isn’t nearly has good as the story in SA2:B, but is still good. It can definitely be hard to follow sometimes though, as each character has a totally unique story, though they come together in the end for the final boss fight. The characters mouth movements in the cut scenes are horrible though, especially Sonic’s. The voice-actors fit the characters well, and make up for most of it. The story is ok, but it’s not something you’d buy this game for.

The sound in this game is really good, though it was pretty good in the Dreamcast version anyway. Most of the music fits each character quite well. Sonic’s jump sound does get annoying though. Nothing wrong here really though. The sound isn’t super fantastic, but it’s no where near bad. Let’s just put it this way. It’s nothing I’d buy a CD for, but most of the music is really good. It does beat most of the sound on SA2:B, but I still like Live and Learn better than anything found here.

This is what really kills the score. This game has so many glitches it’s not even funny. And these aren’t glitches that you have to know about before time, most of them you’ll find out on your own. Maybe my game is screwed up, but I can fly off just about any cliff where an invisible wall is supposed to be with Knuckles. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen through the floor with Sonic and Tails. There are so many glitches in this game, and it really shows how little effort Sonic Team actually put into this port.

The levels aren’t as big as SA2:B’s levels either. Pretty small actually, with even less room to walk through the levels than in SA2:B, and way too many rings. The camera can also be really bad in some areas. So bad that you actually have to fight the camera. It is true that 4/6 characters in this game are fun to play as, but 1of those 6 characters isn’t really a character, just a plot point leading to the final boss fight. Another 1 of those 6 characters has levels that are very similar to Sonic’s, just smaller and incredibly easy since you can fly. That leaves you with 2 fun characters, who aren’t as fun as SA2:B’s 2 fun characters.

I still don’t think the whole “overworld” thing fits Sonic very well anyway. It seems to lower his max speed, and thus takes away the quickness of his levels. Certain elements of this game make me feel as if Sonic Team decided to go with more of a Zelda game than a Sonic one.

Replay Value: 7/10

Despite all these problems, the levels are still surprisingly fun enough to play once, though it may seems tedious to go back and play them multiple times for all the emblems. It would’ve brought the replay value way down, if it wasn’t for mission mode. I won’t go into details here because I want to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but it saves the replay value. It is basically a series of missions that you have to earn, which sounds boring, but is actually pretty fun. Chao also help the replay value, but the Chao garden in SA2:B is much better. You can also unlock 12 Gamegear titles, but most of these titles show WHY Sonic didn’t grow as popular as Mario and aren’t that great.

Overall: 7.4/10

This game was a good game from the time it was debuted on Dreamcast, and probably didn’t get the proper recognition it deserved. The port to Gamecube, however, left me disappointed. I thought Sonic Team was going to blow me away like they did with SA2:B, but they definitely didn’t. They obviously have other things on their minds. (Sonic Heroes, anyone?)

Buy it, rent it, or pass on it? I’d say rent it, simply beating the game doesn’t take too long at all, and if you like it and want to get all the emblems then you can buy it. If you’re a dedicated Sonic Fan, buy it, but you were probably going to do that without reading this review anyway. SA DX is a great game, but a mediocre port at best. There are better games on Gamecube to waste your money on. Save those $50 bucks for Sonic Heroes buddy and rent this one…

Rating:   3.5 - Good

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.