Review by Harcx

Reviewed: 12/22/09

Link's Awakening was also mine.

I first played this game when I was a kid, probably around the year 2000 - '01 or so, it was my first Zelda game as well as one of my first games. I just finished playing it for the first time in my adult life not long ago.

Story - 9.5/10 Of course, one of the most important parts in a game. If the story isn't good, your enjoyment of playing goes down with it. The story for this one is short, but I still love it. (Spoilers) Link's boat has been hit by lightning, he wakes up on an unfamiliar island and is found by a girl (Marin) who takes him back to her and her father's house. Link, of course, wants off said island. So, that's the beginning of the plot: Link's on an unfamiliar island and has to try to find a way off. The catch, though? It can't get off until he awakes a being known as "The Wind Fish" who is asleep. To wake The Wind Fish, Link has to fight through 8 dungeons, collect each instrument from the end of each dungeon and then play them in front of The Wind Fish's egg to wake him up.

Game Play - 9/10 Basic Legend of Zelda game play, if you've played any Legend of Zelda before the N64 days, you've used the same game play that's used in this game before. You control everything with the D-Pad, you use assign and use items via your a and b buttons, and you use start to go to the item screen.

Sound - 10/10 It's really good for the Gameboy Color days. Of course, if it's put up to the sounds of today's games it would get a low rating. I even still listen to some of the songs (Face Shrine's music is awesome.)

Difficulty: Not really difficult, even still I've had to use a guide for a thing or two (even though the things I had to look up were me just obviously being oblivious). I'd say it's average, you shouldn't have a hard time getting through it, but it shouldn't be a complete walk in the park where you don't have to think.

Should you play this game? If you like The Legend of Zelda series and haven't play this game by NOW, then you really need to. It's a great game and you would not regret it. Of course, if you don't own it then by now you can only buy used copies, which I had to re-buy this game, as I had sold my copy years ago, unfortunately. If you do want to play this game, you'll have to have either a GBC, GBA or GBA SP, as Nintendo DS's can not play Gameboy Color or original Gameboy Games, but it would be worth the investment.

Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Product Release: The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (US, 12/31/98)

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.