Review by Lagunathemoron

"My 100th review!"

To Celebrate my 100th Review, Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX!

Not many Gameboy Color games are big and last long. Lets face it, most of the platform games last us about twenty minutes, Puzzle games will last us around two hours of our lives, and racing games for the Gameboy color are not even good enough for two minutes. Okay, the Gameboy Color does have a game which will (and has) last me years of Gameplay. I remember getting the Dulex version of the game, within weeks of its release, and I still have not completed the game... But it has everything a game could ask for in a game!

This is somewhat like the fourth game in the Zelda game series, and this game does not feature Princess Zelda, although her name is in the title. Nintendo have a interesting story in Legend of Zelda DX, which reminds me of the Discworld book series by Terry Pratchett. Nintendo made this game a truely weird experience, some of the things they put in it, like talking animas, a giant ball on chains which follows you around and a camera man which takes photo's of you at the least appropiate time!

The story in Legend of Zelda DX starts off a bit like Gullivers travels. Link, the hero of the game, is on a boat in thew middle of the storm (Which has some great effects from the Gameboy Color, I might add) and Link becomes shipwrecked. He is wakened by this girl, who takes care of him. Link is told that he is on a strange island, and the only way to escape is to awaken the Wind Fish with the eight musical instrumnets buired in ancient temples! During the story, there are more plot twists, which use some more great effects from your Gameboy. For example, Malon, the girl who saved you and Link sit on the beach, the camera shows the characters looking at the sea, a beautiful moment!

The game looks like a small version of the Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. The graphics in the game pushes the Gameboy color to its limits, describing how beautiful this game is would be like describing EVERYTHING at the queen mothers one hundreth birthday party!

The sound is truely breath taking. The overworld, the world map theme tune is very breath-taking, and to me, is the most recogniseable music in a Gameboy game ever. Other sound, like Magic powering up and the sword of Swords being used, prooves that the Gameboy Color is a musical wonder. The aim of the game, is to get a set of music instruments whihc are ancient, but after you get each one, Link, the main character, will play each individual instrument to make a peaceful tune. Doesn't that really tell you how much I love the music?

Most of the game, will see you in dungeons, trading items, attacking poor defenceless animals and finding keys. The dungeons, which are filled with rooms requier you to find keys, maps, compass' and of course, the Nightmarekey which willmtake you to the boss of the dungeon, so you can go collect your prize.

Link, the games main character, is very easy to control. His sword and shield activates like a dream. He is a very fast character to control. All Gameboy color owners have to own this masterpiece!

Good

- Brilliant graphics
- Its Zelda!
- Marvellous sound
- Great Gameplay

Bad

- Story goes a bit slow
- Too hard

Summary

Graphics - 10/10
Sound - 10/10
Music - 10/10
Gameplay - 9/10
Enjoyment - 8/10
Challenge 10+/10
Lifespan - 9/10
Overall - 10/10

Reviewer's Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Originally Posted: 02/11/02, Updated 02/11/02

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.