Review by MasterReviewer

Reviewed: 11/01/99 | Updated: 11/01/99

Is it a Zelda Game? Nope.

Unfortunately, this "attempt" to make a classic Zelda game has failed. With a not-so intriguing storyline, and low replay value....what is the point of buying it? It is a challenging game, the dungeons and bosses prove to be hard, especially the last bosses. But the game does not prove to be rewarding after you beat it. The ending to me is very, very sucky...I wish I could explain why, but it will be spoiling it, so I will not tell you. There is really no secrets in the game, except some crappy little trading game that gets you nowhere. So - what kind of Zelda game is this? Well, guess what? It is NOT a Zelda game.

Storyline 5/10

The story is very, very drawn out and boring. I mean there is action in between, but, during that action, that stupid little Owl reminds you that you have to wake the "Wind Fish" in order to leave the island...ooh! How cool! Sike! The story is: You are Link and just washed up on the shores of Koholint Island. To leave this island, however, you have to wake the Wind Fish. Very dumb plot and terribly written too. You go through the game looking for Nightmare Instruments that are the only thing that can wake the Wind Fish....Yawwwwwn. I am bored. You will be too once you sit down and actually get into the game.

Graphics 10/10

Wonderfully done graphics. They certainly came a long way since that ugly black and white monochrome GameBoy graphics. Now, Zelda is in color and looks even more cooler than ever! However, all flash and no substance don't make a game....

Sound/Music 10/10

The Sound F/X and Music tunes are wonderful. The chickens are a great addition to the Sound F/X, they are probably the best sounding thing in the whole game. The music is above and beyond GameBoy standards. It even has the old regular Zelda tune in there! I love that music for the Mysterious Woods.

Controls 10/10

The controls are very easy to use, you know how that is....it's GameBoy!

Replay Value 4/10

Ouch! Here's where the game really falls, having good everything else except Storyline, you will not want to play this game again after you finish it. What is the point? You do no exploring in this game, there aren't any secrets....It really, really sucks. This game could of been a really good Zelda game, if they left enough room where the great graphics and sound F/X are...and replaced those minor things to a game with a better replay value and story.

Overall 6/10

Yes, unfortunately, Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX has no good game standards. It doesn't live up to be a traditional Zelda game, where you could explore, find secrets and have fun doing that.

Rating:   3.0 - Fair

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.