Review by BlueInferno83

"Get out the putter...this one is an ace."

PGA tour golf was released by Electronic Arts at a time when the golf gaming genre was starting to rise. Games like Arnold Palmer Golf and Jack Nicklaus Golf were forced to use celebrities to lend their name to a cheap product. PGA Tour Golf II is different. It comes up with innovative new techniques and creates an almost real experience of being on the golf course. You have the choice to play on a wide range of real PGA courses and participate with pros in real tournaments.

Okay, the graphics weren't great, but for the times, these graphics were pretty good. The courses were designed well and accurate to the real ones. The hilarious part was seeing the pictures of the real golfers in the game. : ) I almost spit out my drink when I saw their version of Fred Couples as compared to the real Freddy.

I really liked the sounds in this game. EA did a good job in recreating the sounds of birds and the club striking the ball. The only thing I would have liked is if they had created the sound of the wind. Also, I can't stand the loud, blaring music that plays at the start of the tournament. ARGH!

Difficulty: 10/10
This one will have you throwing your controller against the wall. PGA Tour Golf II is very difficult. It will take a lot of time to get used to the controls, and they are ultra sensitive. The method of having to adjust for the wind also makes the game difficult, as well as the sometimes impossible putts. Nevertheless, it is very rewarding to learn.

Fun: 9/10
When you finally do learn to play this, and you've replaced the four controllers you've broken, this game is a ton of fun. With several modes, including tournament, skins, and just practice round, this game will keep you entertained for hours.

PGA Tour Golf II is the definition of old school on Sega Genesis. However, the game of golf has not changed, and therefore, the game is still very much playable. It was released in a time before Tiger Woods came along to make the game more mainstream.

PGA Tour Golf II has many of the elements that today's golf games lack. While other games try to look fancy and pretentious, PGA Tour Golf II strips down to the basic fundamental game of golf without trying to dress it up. I recommend this to any golf fan.

Reviewer's Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Originally Posted: 04/07/04

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.