Review by cribbs542

"Not the greatest baseball game BUT....."

I saw this game back in the summer of 2000 at Blockbuster, on the shelves of the previously played games. I looked at the back of the box and thought, are there any really good baseball games out? I read the back and thought, hmmmm, Home Run Derby, World Series, All Star Game, and even a season that could go all the way to 162 games. I looked at the price and thought, all this for 14.99?? Blockbuster must be crazy to be giving this away for 14.99. I grabbed the last copy of it and paid for it. I took it out as soon as I got home eager to play. I popped it into my 64 and began playing. I immediately liked the game.

Gameplay-8/10
The first thing I noticed about this game, is that the gameplay is similar to the NES game Bases Loaded. Pretty easy to understand the controls. Once you get playing you will be amazed at how easy it is. But the more you play you can change the difficulty. All around the Gameplay is pretty fun. It is a fairly easy game until you change the difficulty. I like how the C buttons control which base you throw to, and how you don't have to aim with the control stick and press A or B. Like I said it is pretty easy to get used to the controls.

Story-N/A
Being a baseball game, it doesn't really have a story. Basically you pick a team and you can play a season and try to win the World Series. Not much of a story huh? That's ok though because it makes up with all its features. You can play as 32 teams including the 1998 AL and NL all stars. You can have a draft and trades during your season. You can adjust your season from 15 games to 81 to 162. You can even make it either 1997 or 1998.

Graphics and sound-6/10
The Graphics are pretty good. At times they are a bit choppy. But when you hit a home run the graphics are SWEET. The only thing that really annoys me about this game is the music. After a while the music gets so annoying that I turned on the radio. But some of the sound effects are good. The crowd noise sounds kind of real except for a cowbell that rings about every 3 minutes.

Replay ability-8/10
I beat this game in about a month of buying it, and I didn't stop playing it until January 2001. There are endless things to do in this game. You can play Home Run derby against the computer or a friend. You can play games against a friend or computer. But after a while you might get a tad sick of it.

RENT OR BUY
I would rent it first, see if its your kind of game. Then if you can find a place that sells it, buy it quick, and thank me later.

Reviewer's Rating:   3.5 - Good

Originally Posted: 08/15/01, Updated 08/15/01

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.