Review by TubeRacer

Reviewed: 07/09/02 | Updated: 07/09/02

The misunderstood game you threw in the trash before it could actually show you how much it loves you.

Even today, this game stands to be my favorite non-console game. I have noticed that there are only few others who share my strong interest in this game, but I'll just go into exactly why I love this game so much.

This is the game's strongest point, in my opinion at least. With or without a super-fast computer, the graphics are stunning. But when you do have a capable computer, the awe grows three fold. The great visual effects are so numerous. First of all, the level design is so professional and realistic for each level, and the textures are vibrant and detailed. Then you add the extra goodies, such as steam from pipes, exhaust-- like flames, the aura around powerup pickups, heck, even some of the complex door-opening sequences are amazing to me.

Audio: 10/10
As with every Descent game, this had an excellent soundtrack. The music was very mood-fitting and suited the game well. It's also very original and well-done. I believe it was ''Auto-Pilot'' or somethin' similar who did the music, so a big congrats to them. The sound effects were equally wonderful, making a great combination with the music.

Here's where the real meat of the game is. The basic single player missions were an excellent ride, with a nice difficulty challenge as well. But what I enjoyed most was the multiplayer on pXo.net, Parallax Online. The downside to this being that there aren't too many people who play D3 online, and those who do will wipe the floor with ya. But anyway, the game comes with a level editor. (BONUS!!!) This was my favorite thing to do concerning this game. I spent hours and hours with this, mostly figuring it out, then I finally got some levels made and released to several websites. The level editor is great to boost the replayability, since you can make your own single player missions, or even your own multiplayer anarchy/CTF/whatever levels. The downside is that it will take you a lot of practice and frustration to get the hang of the level editor unless you have already existent knowledge of 3D design and things of that sort. And the program does crash a bit too much.

But back to the gameplay itself. The control is excellent, but only if you make it excellent. Same goes for all other complex-movement games. The controls and options are highly customizable, so in order to get the best gaming experience, you'll need to experiment and figure out what controls work best for you, whether that's a joystick, mouse (hopefully not), or keyboard. But the free-flying feel of floating freely, or fastly fumbling for firepower (I am amazing with words, eh?) is simply astonishing.

Replay Value: 9/10
In my opinion, this game has an extensive amount of replayability. The single-player missions, additional downloadable missions, multiplayer, D3Edit, Mercenary Expansion, and everything else contribute to one heck of a wholesome experience.

This game gave me my nickname ''TubeRacer'' for use in any internet website/community, from the D3 code that will give you an instant suicide. That's how I show my appreciation for the game, so how can you show yours? You can get this game new with the expansion for around ten bucks. You have ten bucks to waste don't you? Of course you do. And what better way to waste them than on the best game ever...

Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.