Review by CoolBeansAvi

Reviewed: 11/18/05

Any "game" that can really absorb you like this one is deserving of a 10

Progress Quest… What is there to say about Progress Quest… It’s one crazy game, if you can even call it that.

Progress Quest is described as a “fire and forget” game, and that really says it. Here is how you play. First, you go to the Progress Quest home page, www.progressquest.com, you download the game, open it up, choose either single player or multiplayer, and choose your name, race, class, and stats. That’s pretty much how you start the game. You do that, minimize it, and forget about it. It even goes out of your main task tray and into the side thing. If you want to save your game, you just close the window, or it automatically saves every time you advance a level, quest, or act. Pretty simple huh? Yeah, it is. The controls are simple too, all you need to know is how to use a mouse, or if you are playing multiplayer, you can press Ctrl+G to join a guild, and Ctrl+M to make a motto. Mine is “And as sure as God made little green apples, I will kill Bill…” Pretty catchy huh? And also, after you close the game, if you feel like playing again, all you have to do is find the place where you would open it up on your computer, click “Load Game” and click on your save file. Then you minimize the screen, and it all begins again.

Multiplayer is pretty cool. To play in multiplayer, you need to start a new game while you are online. Once you start either a single or multiplayer game, you can’t do the other one. Well anyway, when you play multiplayer, your stats are recorded on the Progress Quest webpage. It’s a neat little feature. Multiplayer is a blast, single player, not so much. Also, all you need for multiplayer is just to be online when you first start the game, any time after that you can play offline or online, and your stats are updated every now and then on the webpage.

There is no definite story in Progress Quest, but there is a little bit of background that you can read about on the home page. There are some people that do fan fiction about the game, and those are always SO funny. There’s even an animated one. It’s not required for you to know about the game for you to play it, but it is a great addition.

There is no sound to the game, which is ok, because it really doesn’t need it, and I don’t see how it could be incorporated into the game. The little animated story on the home page does have a bit of sound, and I guess you can call all that stuff on the website part of the game.

The graphics aren’t half bad. There’s all these blue scrolling lines, and for a very strange reason they are pretty fun to watch. Don’t ask me why, it just is, and there is no explanation for it. There’s also what is called the “3-D mode,” which is done really well. It looks like some parts of the window are flat, while some of the headings are popping out, or in 3-D. It’s simple, yet satisfying. The graphics are good for such a simple game, and you won’t be staring at it for that long anyway, unless you really are simple enough to be fascinated by scrolling blue lines. And hey, I’ll admit, for the first time I played, I really did enjoy doing that.

Progress Quest was a game made to consume (or not to consume, really) hours and hours. It starts off easy to progress through the acts, but as you get into the higher acts, it starts taking days to finish. There’s the big incentive to keep on playing too, which is the stats page I mentioned before. You can really play this game for hours and hours, but not play it at all. It satisfies that empty feeling in you, if you know what I mean.

So all in all, Progress Quest is a very simple yet fulfilling game that you should spend about 3 minutes downloading and 1 minute setting up to play. It’s pretty fun, in a weird sort of way.

Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.