What is the best strategy for containing Corruption and Hallow?

1. First off, i would like to mention that i'm not very far in the game, so therefore i have never reached hardmode yet. I would like to get my world prepared for containing the Corruption and Hallows before i enter hardmode.

On to the topic at hand, I was snooping around the net for info regarding the containment. From what i understand, it says i can contain it if i build a player-made chasm around my base. So this brings up a few questions regarding the subject.

1. Type of Bricks: One of the guides said that Corruption and Hallows cant spread among dungeon, wood, glass, or any player-placed bricks. Is this true? I mean if i build the chasm myself, can i use just about any material i want? (like dirt, since its so abundant). Or is there a list of particular blocks/bricks that i can choose from that i can use to contain it?

2. Size of Chasms: The guide also mentioned that i have to build a chasm to prevent it from spreading. Assuming i'm using the proper bricks from #1, how big of a chasm to i have to have?

3. Background Walls: Are player-placed background walls necessary to contain it? or can i just use the natural background walls? I'm aware you need player-placed background to keep enemies from spawning (or intentionally spawn depending on background), but unsure regarding containment.

4. Protecting other Zones: Can i pretty much protect the other zones from being infected if i just dig multiple gigantic chasms from surface to bottom? Or better yet, is there a specific spot the corruption/Hallows will spread from so i can build my chasms around it and block it in before i even enter hardmode?

User Info: Mr_Bojingo

Mr_Bojingo - 4 years ago
    So what do you mean by this changing with 1.2? How will it effect Corruption/Hallow containment?

User Info: Mr_Bojingo

Mr_Bojingo - 4 years ago

Answers

1. If this is for the PC version, the answer to this question will change DRAMATICALLY with 1.2.

As of 1.1:

Its Player CREATED bricks, not player placed. So, Gray Brick (for example) = Safe. Dirt/stone/etc = not safe.

I usually just make them 2 bricks | 3 Spaces | 2 Bricks.....but any gap of at least 3 spaces/bricks works.

Background walls have no effect. However, you want to build walls aboveground as well to keep Corrupters out - and their spit.

Yes, you can....but keep in mind that every altar you break spawns another random corruption/hallow block in the world....so you still must keep aware!

User Info: LokiISP

LokiISP - 4 years ago 0 0
  2. There will be a new method for containing Hallow/Corruption and cleaning up any breaches.

It is quite effective. :)

Can't say more because spoilers.

User Info: LokiISP

LokiISP - 4 years ago 0 0
  3. ok so ignoring which version of terraria you are on

Its nearly impossible to contain the corrupt/Hallow before hardmode. I mean, you can try but it is nearly impossible to Predict the area of the Hallow and Corrupt. with that being said, you dont need to place blocks within your "chasm", as long as its completely opened up. try to allow the Space to reach every level of underground.

hallow and corrupt can just a long distance, so having a 6 block wide chasm should be enough. Rememeber to remove the walls too, as it can spread through those as well.

i dont reccomend you fill these chasms with anything, as they can be fairly useful for travel.

After you set a certain area for Corrupt and Hallow, you will need to beat a mech boss. not for its loot, but for a new NPC called the steampunker. from her, you will need to get the clentaminator(one platinum) and a friggin ton of Green solution (about 3 stacks should be minimum). use this gun and aim at any corrupt and hallow that is not within your Separated area. try not to hit mushroom biomes, as they turn them into Jungle. Use this and try to find EVERY SINGLE CORRUPT AND HALLOW THAT ITS AROUND AND ISNT IN YOUR DESIGNATED AREA. YES, ALL OF THEM.

Some tips. Stock up on Crates and do not break any Altars, as breaking altars spawns a random Corrupt and Hallow block in the WORLD, making it harder to contain. Crates are from fishing, and can give hardmode materials.

killing Plantera slows down the spread.

and thats about it

User Info: Argo11

Argo11 - 7 months ago 0 0