Review by FaSCoRP

"The expected upgrade, but a little bit easy"

I was waiting for this game for a long time. In fact, I was playing Heroes IIwhile the third chapter was released. I saw a demo on a friend´s machine andI was very expectating to playing with it asap.Finally I got the game. As I could see on the online game web sites, the gameit was badder, bigger and better. The armies were totally redesigned, andall the characters (heroes & soldiers) were modeled in 3D. They look all verywell with a few exceptions, only the dragons don´t look so "realistic". Ipreffer the graphics of the Bone Dragon of the part 2 than this one.The same type of cities that were in Heroes II are here. An also some newones. If you wanted the same game, with a face washed and some good additions,you´ll not be dissapointed.

There are new things you´ll like:

- character progressive experience (the skill levels of the heroes are notlost between missions in a campaign - as in H2 - , the attack level, thedefense level, the spell power, the magic points & the spell book). In H2 itwas too bad to have a really powerful hero, to start from scratch in thenext mission.

- there is an underworld behind the land (as dungeons), with specificcharacteristics. In some of them you cannot use spells in combat!

- when you´re handling a hero, and if you pass the mouse over the specialbuildings (like the ones where you can learn spells, gain experience ordefense or attack levels), it appears on the bottom of the screen if youvisited it or not (in Heroes 2 I really can´t manage too well where wasthe hero and where not, I was usually visiting the same place twice or more,and remaining one hero not as his maximum possible level)

- you can carry a ballista and an ammo cart also. In heroes 2 some times(only a few, in fact), in long battles my archers will not have more rows touse! The problem is fixed if you have this one (an only cost $1000)

The big dissapointment of Heroes 3 is its difficult level. It´s SO EASY.The first three campaign are no challenging at all. I played it WITHOUTlosing any battle! The computer AI it´s no good, and the quantity of troopsof the computer heroes are not really a lot (I remember Heroes 2 when thecomputer cames with an horde of 200 vampires). You´ll past almost 40 hoursof playing looking for some really action. It will no be a shame if you getbored until the 4th campaign. Also the "campaign" are a big flask. Each onethey have only three missions. I wanted some more action.

And the final problem: you´ll need a powerful Pentium II machine to play itsmoothly. Why? Because the music of the game is played in MP3 format!! Inan hour I usually play only two weeks of the game´s time. The game is alittle bit SLOW.

You must try the single missions, the multiplayer options, and the missioneditor for really challenging action (perhaps in the expansion packrelease on early august?)

Reviewer's Rating:   4.0 - Great

Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.