Review by Dracandros

Reviewed: 11/07/06

Not just good, but great

This is my first review for a game, and what a game it is. Neverwinter Nights 2 is, of course, a Role-Playing Game, set in the Forgotten Realms world of the Dungeons and Dragons universe. If you wanted a D&D experience, aside from the Pen and Paper tabletop style, and prefer today's new pleasures in gaming, this is a definite must-have. Anyway, onto the real review, and I'll try not to spoil anything, of course:

Story (8/10)

The story for the game is something else. Your character starts as an "orphaned child" (considering you can set your character's age, child is a word used loosely), that works with the Militia of West Harbor, in the Mere of Dead Men, a small village in a swampy marsh. It is a time of celebration, and the fair in town is promising enough. However, all good things must come to an end...

Graphical Detail (10/10)

The developing team at Obsidian Entertainment did an excellent job with the textures. Granted, I'm playing the game with several features off, or at a low setting, but it really is a marvel, even with the reduced settings.

User Interface (9/10)

A bit confusing at first, but that's what the tutorial is for! The camera has four different methods of view, from a chasing-behind, to the standard top-down angle. You can pan the camera, adjust the angles, and what not. Your can view your character (and party's) statistics via the inventory and character sheets, and if you forget what you need to do, or where to go, the game's journal can point you in the right direction. Lost in a dungeon? Consult the map at the top-left of your screen. Everything you need is practically right in front of you.

Difficulty (Varies, 7-9/10)

Depending on your knowledge of the rule set, and what difficulty level you have it set as, the game can be tedious, to easy. Once you get the hang of it, it's fairly simple afterwards.

Music and Sound (10/10)

Even though some of the music is from Neverwinter Nights 1, there are new scores and voice sets, all of them done wonderfully. The voice actors give life to the NPCs you meet in the game world.

Overall Score (9/10)

Of course, all games do have faults, but this one is a shining gem amongst the few D&D RPGs of our time, like the Baldur's Gate series, or Planescape: Torment (which, sadly, I wish I owned). And even if you get tired of the Official Campaign, alone, you can always dive into a Multiplayer game, or try out some user-made content!

So, why are you still reading this? Go out and buy the game, already! It'll be worth every cent in the end, believe me.

Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.