Review by shadowofamn1

Reviewed: 08/11/08

Could be better, but it's still worth it.

Neverwinter nights 2 came out with the first expansion and packages as Gold edition, for 50 bucks it is a good pick to get some hours of fun, offline and online. After beating NWN2 and before starting the expansion, I will like to give a review for gamers who are planning to get this game.

New Features and Changes: 6/10

I own NWN1 and loved it, I was excited to see if there are significant improvement to the gameplay or graphics etc. But obviously there aren't enough new features and changes in NWN2 to get a higher score on the list. The worst part is the interface, including the right click menu had been changed and players found the original better than the new one. Which is one step back in my opinion. There aren't much new races or classes which makes me feel like playing the game with the same set up from the original. At least the character combination is still attractive and fun.

Graphics/Sound: 7/10

There is a big improvement to the graphics but not the engine. Resulting in a very demanding system to run this puppy at high setting. With a Core 2 Duo 2.8 ghz, 2 gb ram and a geforce 8800 gt 1gb ram, I was able to run at 1280x960 with everything on high setting. The framerate was rather unstable and the shadows are definitely a waste, it takes too much resources to generate the eyecandy. The sound is great and the music could be better, the voice acting is ok.

The story starts off very slow and unclear, as you meet more companion your story will reveal pieces by pieces, but it is very slow. It feels like the whole act 1 is the epilogue, but things heats up at the begining of act 2 and ends at act 3. The crossroad keep management sidequests are well done, at least it is the most memorable part of the game.
Despite having a slow beginning the ending is also a cliffhanger, and obviously tells us there will be expansions to continue the story. So main story isn't epic but bioware did a good job at the climax and it deserves a good score.

Like the original, micro management for each character is the best part of the game. The relationship between your companions and you will affect some part of the story, and their personal side quest as well. Magics, Melee, Ranged fights are all well done to display a good D&D combat system without worrying to roll the dices. The crafting aspect is a bit confusing, it takes awhile for players to understand how to craft the items you want, but it certainly took a large sum of gameplay hours just to make your set of godly equipment.

Multiplayer: 7/10

Before giving the final verdict to the game, there is still the multiplayer section to be covers. There is quite a lot of server up for some category of game play, most of them, is player made. The community are quite small due to NWN1 still holds a large portion of the players. The reason is NWN1 doesn't require a good system to play it, and it certainly have a large library of custom made worlds and clans, and most important of all, events. For most ot NWN2 multiplayer, I just go in a server and level my characters, do some drinking and crafting. Which everyone reaches the highest level and defeats whatever bosses there are, the server resets. Dungeon master is more fast paced but I haven't try that yet so no comment there.

Summary: 8/10

NWN2 is dropping their prices and bundle up with the new expansion. For a 2007 games it is worth the money and if you have a 2008 built pc you should enjoy this game with max setting.

Rating:   4.0 - Great

Product Release: Neverwinter Nights 2 (US, 10/31/06)

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.