Why can't I reassign certain controls?

1. I'm playing Portal on a Vista laptop with a touchpad.

I assigned the look up and look down controls to keys on the keyboard to make it easier to do certain things (it's hard to use a touchpad quickly), but the keys didn't do anything when pressing them in-game.

I then decided to use my a SIXAXIS (PS3 controller) after finding a driver for it online (Vista recognizes it as a gamepad and all inputs register correctly), I reassigned all the controls to buttons and analog stick positions on the SIXAXIS (left analog stick for moving around, right analog stick for looking around).

All the controls worked correctly on the SIXAXIS except look up, look down and strafing. Look up and look down had no effect, and both analog sticks had the effect of looking left and right, unless both are pressed the same way. If both analog sticks are pressed the same way they had the effect of going diagonally backwards.

So why can't look up and look down be reassigned, and why doesn't strafing work correctly on a gamepad?

User Info: M_T_C

M_T_C - 8 years ago
    I'm having the same problem with using a logitech dual analog controller. The problem is that the game will not map the look up and look down functions to ANYTHING except the mouse. Which sucks, and I have no idea what to do about it.

User Info: blowseph

blowseph - 8 years ago

1. Turn off "enable gamepad" and it still works. For some reason, "enable gamepad" makes you turn with left and right and there's no option to make it strafe with it. Just have "enable gamepad" off and assign everything. It'll work, except for looking up and down. I used Joy2Key to assign the mouse to the right stick.

User Info: NintendoDudeGuy

NintendoDudeGuy - 7 years ago 2 0

Answers

1. It's gonna take some work, but you might have to use console commands to get your controller to work. Here's a little guide I randomly googled up: http://www.onlinegamecommands.com/halflife/halflifemousejoy.htm

User Info: hobotech64

hobotech64 - 8 years ago 1 0