Review by MCahill

Reviewed: 11/15/99 | Updated: 11/15/99

300 pounds of suck.

I lived next to an arcade where they have the best from the Williams/Bally company.Cyclone, Addams Family, Twilight Zone, and Attack from Mars all becameinstant classics there. Then I see this game which has to be placed inthe hall of shame. It is called "Star Wars: Episode 1". This game is aninsult to all pinball fans. It is the only game that I know that punishespeople on the skill shot. In most games if one accomplishes the skillshot, they get a reward as well as the ball in play. Here if you get theskill shot, the ball rolls down the side and off at an angle and ends upSTRAIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE. You'd think the game would give you a "pityball" (If the ball goes down the drain in 15 seconds, they give you another ball.)like in many other new games but the game does not. This may onlyhold true for the 3 that I have played, (Chinatown fair on Mott Street, XS inTimes square, Broadway City on 42nd street.) but it is completly unfairfor people that want to try for the shot. This is just one of the fewthings that just makes me want to smash that telvision screen. Oneproblem is this "power of the force" thing. This thing occurs once in awhile, only when the three targets are hit, changes the momentum of a ballwhen nearby and directs it back either to one of the outlanes or straight down the middle.

Is this supposed to be a good thing? At least in the Addams Family when"The Power" was on it would try to throw the ball upward. One otherpeeve is Jake Lloyd Talking. "Welcome Young Jedi"? I don't feelwelcomed. I am not the only person who gets annoyed when a 10 year oldcheers while playing. They did not need that to be mandatory in the game.Another part is trying to get the extra ball. Building C3PO is fun, but itis very taxing to get the ball down that side slot to get the extra ball.It usually happens by accident, and when it does guess where it ends upanyway. (Hint: its where the skill shot ends, not a pretty sight.) Witha possible exception of the Musical Chairs and the target practice, itseems that all the missions are alike. If it isn't hitting a robot, it'shitting a spaceship or big fish. I know that some of the missions in"Revenge From Mars in 3D" are similar (Paris and Pisa), but they are funnyand spread out. The outlanes are as attracting as the ones in "Star Trek:The Next Generation". Did they put magnets there so that they would Alwaysgo down them? I barely see a ball go down the return lane. Whyare there no instructions for the Pinball 2000 Games? It's usuallylocated on the bottom left hand corner. This confuses myself onhow to get a high score. It took me weeks to figure out how to getthe bonus. Finallysometimes when the game goes tilt, yoda says that famous line "Anger leadsto hate, hate.....to suffering" The only thing that is going to besuffering is the future of that game. That phrase has got to go! I feelthat I have been cheated out of money playing that unfair game. Idemand for a refund. It is 300pounds of suck and I get disgusted when I see people spend money on thatgame. I'm sorry that they couldn't have spent more time on the design and fixed these minor flaws with a little bit of testing. If anyone wants to know howa Pinball 2000 game is like, try "Revenge From Mars in 3D" It is a far superior gameto this "pinball machine." Sadly though this is the last pinball gameWilliams/Bally is going to make. Hopefully Sega can fill their shoes well.Their latest two games: South Park & Harley Davidson, are awesome.

Rating:   1.5 - Bad

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.