Review by Ke6dRt

"Its only a "good" game, inexcusable for the sequel to Gran Turismo"

Best Features:
Rally racing, great soundtrack, awesome engine sounds, intro movie on the arcade disc is amazing.
Worst Features:
Difficult to navigate menu system, no more point system, arcade mode sucks, simuation mode is basically the same as Gran Turismo.

This is probably the most overhyped game in video game history sinceCrusin' USA on the N64. ALL the video game magazines and most of the reviewershave named this the best racing game of '99, so I was expecting a game betterthan Gran Turismo. I mean, 500 cars, Rally racing, and how many tracks? 20,30, even 40? So I put the game in the Playstation and what do I get? Merely agood game.

First, lets talk about the arcade mode. The only two good things about itare rally racing, and the option to change the number of laps in 1 playerracing. Thats it. First of all, there are a very small number of cars tochoose from where in the original, there was around 75 to start. Secondly, itplays exactly like the simulation mode. The cars handle exactly like theywould in the simulation mode, which shouldn't be the case in arcade mode, andunlike the original, the speed isn't pumped up. Its only an average arcadeexperience.

As for the simulation mode, its definitely good indeed, maybe even as good asthe original. Key words: as good, so already it doesn't live up to the hype.The racing is great, a truely realistic experience, which unfortunately is nodifferent than the original. There are however a few things I dislike aboutthe simulation mode. First of all the menu system is difficult to navigatethrough. The home screens aren't so bad, except I had a tough time findingToyota: all the Japanese dealers where in the last city I checked. Whats badare the racing menus. They're tough to read clearly and the icons are verysmall. Second, they did away with the point system I liked so much in theoriginal. So, the simulation mode is still good, but maybe not even as goodas the original.

Graphics: 8.5
The graphics are still very strong, except the cars look a bit gritty, evenin the replay mode, but they're still about as good as they get.

Sound: 10
The engine noises are fantastic and the soundtrack is amazing. Awesome,simply awesome!

Innovation: 5.5
The intro movie is awesome and the rally racing is a nice addition. Theremay be 500 cars in the game and up to 40 tracks, but they all seem to be moreof the same.

Gameplay: 7
Same as Gran Turismo, except gameplay in the Arcade mode sucks.

Replay Value: 6
Nothing new here. The patient player may be rewarded after a while, but theinitial motavation isn't enough for me.

Bottomline: 7
Its still a good game. Worth a rental but if you're looking to buy a newracing game, get the first Gran Turismo if you haven't already, especiall sinceits now only $20! Also, shell out that other $15 for the GT2 album.

Reviewer's Rating:   3.5 - Good

Originally Posted: 01/03/00, Updated 01/03/00

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.