Review by groz24

Reviewed: 07/07/03 | Updated: 07/07/03

A very fun and quirky platformer.

Having never played Ape Escape on the PS1, I was unsure of how this game was going to play, or even if I should bother getting it. After playing it, I am extremely glad that I got it, and I was also pleasantly surprised by how much fun the game actually is. The basic gist of the game is that you need to go around and capture monkeys who have intelligence-boosting hats on and are trying to take over the world. Naturally, you, being a human, don't want that to happen. Now on with the scores:

Gameplay 10/10

What can I say, this game is just plain fun. There are 300 monkeys that you have to capture, and a variety of gadgets to use to catch them. Some of the later levels force you to use multiple gadgets one after another to get by some areas or catch some of the monkeys. In addition, there are tons of different monkey types that each react differently to you and have their own strengths and weaknesses. All in all it is very addictive and fun gaming.

Story 8/10

The story is pretty good, and told in a decent manner. It is interesting enough to make you want to pay attention to it, but there aren't many times where you actually feel any emotion from the story. There are a few surprises in there which help the story out as well.

Graphics 8/10

Not the best, not the worst. The graphics get the job done and look pretty good. Some of the scenery is sure to make you laugh, and other parts are just plain imaginative.

Sound 8/10

Some of the levels have really good sound, most of the rest have slightly above average sound. For the most part it seemed to fit the game well, while still being different from level to level.

Controls 7/10

The only reason I give this a 7/10 is that unless you played Ape Escape, or any other game where you use both analog sticks, it takes awhile to get used to. You use the left analog stick to move and the right anlog stick to use the item you are currently holding. Sometimes this involves twirling the control stick around, sometimes it involves pushing the control stick in the direction you want to swing an item, such as a club, and there are a couple of other ways it is used. While it may take some getting used to, it is a clever and fairly unique way to do things.

Replay Value 10/10

Whether you want to finish collecting all the monkeys, get all the gold medal times in the time trials, beat the 3 mini-games, or just go around collecting coins to get all the bonus items, this game should keep you coming back for more. While the game itself will probably take 10-15 hours if you run straight through it, I think that there is probably enough other stuff to do, if you want to do everything, to keep you occupied for anywhere from 20-30 hours depending on your gaming proficiency. I keep playing the game to get all the bonus items just because some of them are very clever, and it is amusing to see what I get next.

In conclusion, if you're not sure if you'll like this game then I would probably rent it just to make sure, but if you are a platforming fan, then I see no reason why you wouldn't like this game and get hours of enjoyment out of it. Here's to hoping we see Ape Escape 3 soon.

Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.