PS2 reading CD problem?

1. I have a PS2 but I have seen some of my games cannot be readied by my system. I bought a new game and put it in my system and it " unable to read cd".My question is could it be a CD problem or my system?

User Info: henryusa1

henryusa1 - 8 years ago
  2. Clarification Request:
    Is it your PS1 CDs? or is it the PS2 DVDs? The big difference is in the format. If it is one but not the other, the problem may simply be that your laser needs to be adjusted. Also, if some games in one format are not working while others of that format are, then there may be some other problems. I also would suggest finding another PS2 to test your games out on before you commit yourself to any situation, such as finding a way to adjust your laser.

User Info: Gamer2K1

Gamer2K1 - 8 years ago

1. I recommend cleaning it. I clean my own and my friend's regularly now. All it takes really, what I use anyway is the necessary set of micro-drivers to open it and for the actual cleaning I use a micro-fiber cloth, Q-tips work too, and either glasses cleaner (like lens cleaner, not Windex) or CD cleaning fluid in conjunction on the lens. A can of Air-Duster is also highly recommended to get all the dust out of your PS2 that could be clogging up the air flow. The first time I did it I googled the guide and just followed the picture instructions. I have never cleaned a slim so I don't know about that but there are guides for that as well.

My friend got ripped off when a local game store (Game-X-Change) told him his laser was the problem and charged him 60 dollars go give him the same thing back essentially. I cleaned my own a week later showed him the results and now I clean everyone in my neighborhood's PS2s.

Copy and pasted my answer from a related question, I hope it helps.

User Info: Atheist1089

Atheist1089 - 8 years ago 0 0

1. This is a common problem. I am not sure why, but the "fat" PS2 has trouble reading Compact Disks after a few years. It is a very unfortunate problem. I experienced the same difficulties, and in the end was forced to purchase a new PS2 Slim, which no longer has this problem. Just don't go into a repair shop and have them tell you they can do some $100.00 repair to fix it, you're better off buying a new Slim PS2, or a new console entirely.

User Info: MuddyMaestro

MuddyMaestro - 8 years ago 0 0
  2. That is because your CD Reader has been spoilt. I have faced the same problem with my PSone. Just get into any lisenced SONY store and they will fix it for you. But remember, never use a CD drive Cleaner in any type of console, or else it will get spoilt.

User Info: pratik3005

pratik3005 - 8 years ago 0 0