Review by Yagami_kun

Reviewed: 08/06/10

Welcome to Wrestlemania

"Welcome to Wrestlemania"
This is a game that has been needed for a long time. It's worth buying, it's worth playing. Anybody that has watched the WWE (or WWF as it was before) will have a true appreciation for this game. Even more, being able to play in game modes that were never once added in any wrestling game I have ever played.

Gameplay 10/10
This is one of the best wrestling games I have ever played. From choosing all the different matches in exhibition mode to getting to experience some of the best matches of all time like The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin and Yokozuna vs. Brett "the Hitman" Hart. Getting to play against all of the legends in the Legend Tiers with your own created character is incredible. It's like you're starting from the bottom and working your way up like every other wrestler did.

Controls 6/10
I find the controls for this game really uncomfortable, even though I'm sure it was made to be much simpler. I'm much more used to having more complicated, yet realistic controls in wrestling games rather than having the simple controls in this game. Doing grapples is way too easy, and half the time I don't even know what move I'm trying to do. On the other hand, the intensity and realism building into using your finishing move makes the matches you fight in exactly like the wrestlers do in their matches.

Difficulty 7/10
I found the difficulty in this game very different from the Smackdown vs. Raw series. Playing on the easiest difficulty can get you very used to the controls and figuring out how to play the game. Jumping from easy to hard is like being on team Slovakia playing against Russia in the Winter Olympics. But for me it also had to do with the controls. In no time I could play on Legend in the Smackdown vs. Raw games, but mainly cause reversing is my forte in those. Because of how uncomfortable the controls are for me in Legends of Wrestlemania I couldn't do it.

Roster 10/10
The wrestlers selected to be on the roster in this game is just right. Wrestlers like Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock and Brett Hart made the WWE what it is. I loved being able to play as the Road Warriors or have Mr. Fuji as my manager on ringside.

Create-A-Legend - 7/10
This has to be one of my personal favorite options in video games, mainly wrestling ones. But there's been better. Comparing wrestling games back to the first Smackdown vs. Raw game, there are more options for creating your own wrestler. To create just one wrestler I had to go through the hair selection god knows how many times in Legends of Wrestlemania. Fortunately, I got to create a character I've created in all the games I own. On the plus side, this also lets you use your imagination to create a wrestler however you want him to look like, and give him whatever name you want to.

Create-A-Moveset - 8.5/10
A great selection of moves, like in other games. The only downside was the amount of moves you can use in this game, mainly with the grapples from the top of the turnbuckle and the finishing moves. There are a lot of moves from other wrestling games I would've liked to see in this game, but I wasn't in luck here.

Create-An-Entrance - 9/10
God bless games like Legends of Wrestling letting you use music you added to your system for the entrances. That has to be the biggest plus to creating an entrance. Other things you gotta love are choosing when the nameplate pops up during the entrance, the position of the camera, adding fireworks or smoke to add the little extra something to make your entrance perfect. The only thing that drove me nuts is the fact that there's only two taunts you can use for your created legends that aren't already being used by the wrestlers in the game. If you were to create ten legends, wouldn't it drive you insane to know that they're gonna have close to the exact same entrance?

Other Options 10/10
The best thing any wrestling game has ever had is the option to load a wrestling roster from a different game. As soon as I bought Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 I loaded the full roster to the game, and immediately I had John Cena go head-to-head against Andre the Giant. This has to be one of my favorite things ever added to a wrestling game, even better having the greatest wrestlers of the past WWF/WWE and the current WWE. I was really disappointed that you couldn't have matches the old school Undertaker vs. the new Undertaker, or the old DX vs. new DX. Hopefully that'll be an option for matches in newer games.

The best thing I can say about this is, buy the game. It's worth every cent you'll spend on it. It has a few minor flaws, but it is one of the best wrestling games of all time.

Rating:   4.5 - Outstanding

Product Release: WWE Legends of WrestleMania (US, 03/24/09)

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.