Review by JCash1313

Reviewed: 01/24/11

One of the best games to come out in recent memory

I have been a fan of the LittleBigPlanet game since the first game came out and I was wondering how they could improve on this new addition. The first game, I didn't really want but I got it as a present so I thought I might as well be polite and try it, then I got hooked. The game was fantastic. It was a perfect platforming game and it had a good number of online levels to play after the story mode. The sequel still has a great story mode, and countless levels online (like the commercial says you never beat LittleBigPlanet). It has improved slightly some of the creating features as well as adding different features into the game play such as the Grappling Hook. This is an overall review of the game going into detail with the different aspects every game has.

First we will look at the story aspect of the game. The story is not really that important in a platforming game. Look at Mario, you repeated save a princess in distress over and over and over. So this did not have to necessarily be a great story, but it was actually shockingly good. You are the Sackboy or Sackgirl and you must join the "Alliance" and help stop the Negativitron from sucking all the fun out of the universe. It's a funny story with some funny characters but nothing really amazing, just better than expected.

Next we look at what is, personally, the most important part of a game. That's right time to look into the game play of LittleBigPlanet 2. The game play is almost exactly like the first game. The Sackboy or girl can jump across different gaps, it can grab onto different objects and drag them to make steps, and it can grab and swing across larger gaps. These are the basics to moving around in this game. There are also different panels that do different things, such as a lighted panel may be a panel that springs your Sackthing higher than a normal jump would so you can reach different areas. Another feature that has stayed the same is the ability to customize your Sackthing. You can use different costume pieces you gather in your journey or gain from purchasing them online. You can mix and match to make your Sackthing unique from all the others. LittleBigPlanet is all about being able to customize things. You can even create levels just like in the older game. This allows you to create a level that the world will now have the ability to play and rate or play through everyone else's levels they have made and enjoy the different unique levels there. The create a level mode gives you a lot of freedom in making your different levels which gives everyone a large variety of different levels out there online to enjoy. Now a lot of this was in the older game in the series, so what is new you may ask. Well there are some new things in this game that affect your game play. The Grappling Hook is one example, now you can latch onto different objects that are further away and draw yourself in or swing on the Grappling Hook. Another example would be the glove that allows you to lift different objects or friends and toss them around. This allows you to toss things into enemies to defeat them on different levels. Another different thing added that I feel is important is the new Versus games that have been added. You can now compete against friends and other players in different versus games that involve things like mashing the correct button the fastest or racing around on different objects on a track. This continues to add to the already great online of this game which is what makes this game so great.

Now onto our last section we must look into, which would be the sound and graphic department. The sound in LittleBigPlanet 2 is fantastic, in my opinion. The music is pretty good, the voice acting was exactly what was needed for this funny, charming story and it really fits with the overall feel of the game. The graphics of the game are impressive as well. Platform games have not always had the best graphics. Even the newer games, like Super Mario Brother Wii, are lacking in the graphics department. This game's graphics are fantastic. The detail is great as well as very crisp and clear. The story levels are all unique looking and very well done. Overall the graphics and sound for the game are very impressive for a platforming game. It isn't like this game relies on graphics, it's mostly played for it's game play, but the effort put into this department and the quality of the work should not be overlooked.

So overall this is a fantastic game and a must have if you are a PS3 owner. It's one of the greatest platforming games I have ever played and one of the better games I've played in a while. You will get a ton of playing time out of it because there will be different, great levels for you to play coming out everyday.

Scores:
Game Play: 10/10
Sound: 9.5/10

Rating:   5.0 - Flawless

Product Release: LittleBigPlanet 2 (US, 01/18/11)

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.