Review by SireAzmodan

Reviewed: 01/05/10

As a side-scrolling shoot-em-up it leaves a lot to be desired

Well, what can one say about a game based on a short-lived but hilarious cartoon? I guess MTV/Viacom figured that if The Simpsons did so well in the arcade, this could do just as well on a console. Unfortunately, they were mistaken.

The first thing that happens when you start the game is a cut-scene with Beavis and Butthead sitting on their couch watching TV (what else?). The first thing you'll notice is that the 16-bit laughing is exceedingly annoying, as every single time they have something to say the only audible thing is their laughter. Every now and then Butthead says "We're there," and some others things from the show, but for the most part, all you'll hear is the same laughing, and it gets really dry really fast.

Now, onto the gameplay. It's pretty traditional to the genre; it's a side-scrolling shoot-em-up. The enemies can get annoying since they follow a pattern, but when there are multiple enemies it's very hard to dodge them without taking damage. It does make it more challenging, but the problem is that they're just too slow, and the controls feel very stiff. Adding to the difficulty aspect, the first hit seems to always take you down to half health for some reason, and the controls aren't the greatest. Shooting with Y is kind of odd, and I don't see why that couldn't have been A instead. On top of it the controls are needlessly delayed, so in quick-decision moments (which as any fan of the genre knows are defining elements of this type of game) odds are you'll get hit. You need to have near-perfect timing to survive even the simplest scenarios. The lack of speed wouldn't be so bad if they didn't jump like acrobats, because it makes no sense that they can jump half the height of a locker but can't pick up the pace a bit. Okay, now I think I'm just trying to look for flaws in the game...moving on:

When ever there's an item, you have to press down to pick it up. In general I hate games that do this because in many cases you have to stop completely or you'll just walk past the item. Fortunately it's not too big of a problem in this game, but don't be surprised if you get jumped by a skateboarder, and you usually aren't fast enough to do both right away. Enemies keep spawning until you get to certain points of most screens, so this can sometimes be an ongoing conundrum.

I haven't tried the two-player aspect of it yet, but I can already tell that's where the fun would be.

Overall, I would have to say that this game is definitely worth checking out, and despite the flaws you'll probably enjoy it at least a little bit. If you're looking to save space on your computer or minimize your SNES cartridge library then I say just skip past it because you aren't missing too much, but for anyone looking for a retro arcade experience that they haven't tried yet and have a friend over, give this game a try.

Rating:   3.0 - Fair

Product Release: Beavis and Butt-head (US, 11/30/94)

Would you recommend this
Recommend this
Review? Yes No

Submit a review and let your voice be heard.